Keys missing a chip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coachdanf

Reaction score
My wife purchased (2) keys online for our 2012 Expedition. She just went in today and tried to get them cut and programmed at the local dealer. We only have 1 original key. Well they cut the key but said they were unable to program the keys because they each were missing the engine or ignition chip (she didn't remember the name of the chip). She said the door can lock and the tailgate opens with the newly programmed keys but it will not start the truck because these "chips" are missing.
The keys were bought awhile ago and are out of warranty and can't be returned, $90 down the drain...
unless there is a way to fix them. Could I buy the missing chips and install them and then have them programmed?

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Generally the chip is molded into the key, likely not something you're going to add and it stay together reliably. Why were the keys so much? Generally keys are pretty cheap unless getting oem ones. The Strattec SA 80bit keys are only about $30 a pair. The integrated remote models are more but if you're just wanting spare keys those should work fine.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Online keys are always a risk. They are Chinese knockoffs. Most I've bought work fine. Sometimes they don't. When you look to save money, sometimes you get ripped off. Just figures into the game I guess.

If you don't want the risk, buy an OEM key from the dealer at $100. Otherwise, I take my chances on the $12 ones.

OP
OP
C

Coachdanf

Reaction score
thanks for the feedback from both. Guess we are buying other keys... thanks

OP
OP
C

Coachdanf

Reaction score
Does anyone know if these keys would work in the ignition and start the truck?

OP
OP
C

Coachdanf

Reaction score
I found some on ebay. They are ask for the FCC ID# to match the keys before they send them. How/where do I get that FCC ID#?

towing_champ

Reaction score
On my factory key, the fcc ID is molded into the plastic plate that covers the circuit board for the remote part of the all in one key. It is the cover that you would slide the battery into.

Tom Aldridge

Reaction score
Lots of aftermarket Ford keys have a little hole in the head section, usually an oblong hole in the side of the key head, to hold the chip.
The keys I've seen had the hole close to the metal shaft of the key. This hole is intended to hold the chip in a little plastic holder.
A friend received keys that were missing the chip so I couldn't program them for him. He had no luck getting the keys replaced so we looked on eBay and found the proper chips. He bought the chips, inserted into the holes and I was able to program the keys for him.
This may be an option for you if you can find the chips.

I find that looking up your Ford key part number at https://aftermarket.strattec.com/ and finding a seller (ebay, etc) to get the OEM Ford keys seems to work out well.
My first encounter with Ford PATS keys resulted in me refusing to pay the Ford stealer $175 just to program a pair of customer supplied keys or $140 each if they supplied the keys.
I purchased a pair of Stratec keys for $30, a VXDiag Nano OBD2 interface for $60 and used the free Forscan software to program the keys into my 2nd gen Expy, no problems. This saved a lot over going to the stealer and now I have the tools to diagnose any issues that may pop up with the truck. A local locksmith cut my 2 keys for $1.50 each.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take the chip from your original key and tape in near the ignition. Now you don't need anything but a regular key cut to your original.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69