keyway position for timing job?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey folks, getting ready for my timing job ( finally! needed tax refund first ) but the biggest thing i've been confused on even though i've watched the video series over and over on the timing job, is how to make sense of where the 12 o clock and 6 o clock positions are on the keyway. someone told me previously that when you're looking at the keyway, it does not utilize a straight up and down orientation meaning the top towards sky is 12 and the bottom towards ground is 6, I was told that the top and bottom ( 12 and 6 positions ) are relative to the camshaft, meaning the 12 o clock position would be at a slight angle, because it is in a straight line from crankshaft to camshaft.

I just want this verified please, the biggest thing i'm scared of for this job is messing up the keyway portion, and also the engine bay tear-down looks daunting as hell lol.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would get the crankshaft alignment tool. It aligns the crank in the proper position. But basically the chain alignment "dot" goes at the six O'clock position, and the keyway ends up at about the 11 O'clock position. The chains have colored links to match up with the timing marks on the crank, and on the camshafts. I assume you've watched the videos many times before doing the job.

Ford Triton Crankshaft Alignment Tool on Amazon

OP
OP
Andy Rubalcaba

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would get the crankshaft alignment tool. It aligns the crank in the proper position. But basically the chain alignment "dot" goes at the six O'clock position, and the keyway ends up at about the 11 O'clock position. The chains have colored links to match up with the timing marks on the crank, and on the camshafts. I assume you've watched the videos many times before doing the job.

Ford Triton Crankshaft Alignment Tool on Amazon

yes sir ive watched the video series many times and am rewatching it on the regular. i an getting the special tool however that is not my concern here, im talking about doing the very first timing in order to get tbe crankshaft neutralized; I was told the orientation of aligning the 12 o clock and 6 o clock imaginary line, is from crank to cam and not crank to sky, just need to verify this.

i'm not too worried about the actual timing if new chain since video walks you through it fairly well, the part i'm nervous about is where my clock positions are when i start getting ready for the roller followers to come off.

Jlai007

Reaction score
Good question. Did you get the answer. Please share if the 6 and 12 o clock are relative to cam shaft? I am about to do it 2007 expedition xlt. 8 cyl . 5.3 l

DiddyKong22

Reaction score
12 o clock for the camshaft is relative to the angle of the bank. You can reference off the center point of the retainer or thrust plate.

HebertoGSX

Reaction score
See the 4 part series video from Ford Tech Makuloco on Youtube, I learned from him, he is the master on triton engines!
He does a step by step process, including the specialty tools you will need.