Knocking noise 2001 EB 5.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith Ramsdell

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2001 5.4 EB with 200K, I have a knocking noise, sounds like a clunk clunk, only hear it at a idle very subtle. Engine power is fine, no codes, Local shop looked at it last week and changed out the
Alternator and AC compressor this did nothing ? They said when you removed the belt the knocking noise
completely went away, engine is strong plenty of power (normal)
would a power steering unit do this? or would a crank bearing do this ?

Thanks Keith R

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fact that the noise went away with belt removal narrows it down to one of the items driven by belt. You'll need to unfortunately remove belt again, and spin and inspect all of them, along with idler pulley.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be the belt tensioner since the noise went away with the belt off......prob time to replace the tensioner. That’s what I’d do.....or get you a stenthascope, I can’t spell, and listen to the alternator, water pump, a/c compressor to see if you hear possible bad bearings on one of those.

Last edited:

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
So they threw parts at it, sold you an alternator and an ac compressor and still don’t know the problem? What’s wrong w this picture?

Find a competent mechanic.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it wasn't for the noise disappearing, I'd swear you've got a worn timing chain guide or 2. A stethoscope isn't a bad idea like Sgt stated, just be real careful probing around a running engine.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

Keith Ramsdell

Reaction score
I replaced the idler last year and the water pump, i have ordered a stethoscope should be here in a day or 2. i'll see how that goes
Thanks for the support i'll keep you posted

SailorKane

Reaction score
Was this a tick sound or a clunk sound? You described it as a clunk. Mine has a tick sound in 185k miles 2003.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Leaking exhaust manifold make noise when cold. When engine warms up and metal expands, seals, sound goes away.

highlandre

Reaction score
Both my manifolds ended up cracking and then finally broke apart. Once they were replaced the noise and ticking (valve noise I believe) went away or at least was silenced.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced the idler last year and the water pump, i have ordered a stethoscope should be here in a day or 2. i'll see how that goes
Thanks for the support i'll keep you posted

Good deal.....the scope will allow you to hear bearing noises from any component that has bearings or listen to the valves as they open and close, etc. Just be as safe as possible, especially around the engine if it’s running, of course you no that but just made me fill better by saying it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker