Large Senior dog & loading help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ended up getting a stair style setup from Amazon. Should arrive next week. We’ll see if an old dog can learn new tricks.

Highly recommend steak... Skirt works just as well as the good stuff so you don't need anything fancy. Our French Bulldog is notoriously stubborn but that tends to get his attention no matter what. Good luck on the training! Is there a place he likes to go? Maybe the first few times he gets in he gets to go there?

Aggie76

Reaction score
We’ve got a 65lb female lab who’s 11 yrs old and struggling with her rear legs for jumping up or down into any of our vehicles. I’ve tried several different stair options with minimal success with bribes. Was hoping a ramp might help so am going to borrow a friends before investing. She looks at me like I’m loony when I encourage her to try the stairs and turns sidewise to make it easy for me to lift her up or down. Very spoiled.

cbbco

Reaction score
I have 95 pound lab who was “too tired” to jump in the back after a long hike. We folded the back bucket seat down, then flipped it forward. He stepped on the running board then behind the seat and into the cargo area. He does the same for getting too. Less wear and tear on his shoulders. Works like a charm.

GeezingInVA

Reaction score
You might also check out this thread...some good info there.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/expys-and-dogs.41414/

My earlier post was #11 at this link. It's the Otto Step, available at amazon.com and from the manufacturer. Our 9 1/2 years old 97 lbs Golden has used it since he was a pup. It splits the difference between the ground and the way-back level. It's light and sturdy, but you do have to store it when it's not being used because you can't pin it to your hitch receiver. We'd tried steps/ramps/etc. with prior dogs and prior Exps, but this works best for us and our dogs. Cheers!

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a 12 year old yellow lab. He was about 55 lbs. He didn't do so well with the ramp on his own. I had to harness him up and put a leash on him and walk him up. Even then I just had to be patient because he didn't like the bounce it had.

OP
OP
MxRacer965

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We got one of those collapsible step setups on Amazon. It arrived earlier this week. Dog was not amused. Returning it I guess...

I’ll just lift her in and out like usual. She may not like it but she had her chance at an alternative!

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone else have a large senior dog that needs help into the back cargo area? We have a 12 year old lab mix that weighs 75 lbs or so. She can’t jump into the back of the Expedition, and while 75 lbs is no challenge for me, it is for others. Plus the dog doesn’t care for being picked up are set down. So I see there are ramps and steps out there. Anyone have experience with various solutions and have recommendations?
My 75lb Doberman often decides he doesn’t want to jump into the Expedition. Its a higher jump than my old Sequoia. So he puts his front end up and I lift his rear end so 1/2 the weight lift. LoL
But I’ve seen a few people just do a hinged 1inch thick plywood plank. Then fold and slip it in the back.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have just a folding set of steps, they need to be sturdily placed, and have something so the dog can’t see through them - so it looks like a solid step.