Leaking Shock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schulminator

Reaction score
Just noticed fluid on our garage floor this morning. Peaked under and there is fluid on the bottom spring perch front passenger side, and lower control arm. Is this a known issue?
2022 Limited Stealth package with 1600 miles...

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it have ccd or no? The base springs are notorious for leaking, but you maybe the first with a 22 that has a leaky spring.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just noticed fluid on our garage floor this morning. Peaked under and there is fluid on the bottom spring perch front passenger side, and lower control arm. Is this a known issue?
2022 Limited Stealth package with 1600 miles...

I you do a search on this forum, you will several long threads about leaking shocks on the Expedition.

I bought my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 new, and the RF shock leaked by 3,000 miles (strictly passenger use). It was on national backorder and took the dealer several months to get and install.

OP
OP
Schulminator

Schulminator

Reaction score
Does it have ccd or no? The base springs are notorious for leaking, but you maybe the first with a 22 that has a leaky spring.
Non CCD

I you do a search on this forum, you will several long threads about leaking shocks on the Expedition.

I bought my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 new, and the RF shock leaked by 3,000 miles (strictly passenger use). It was on national backorder and took the dealer several months to get and install.
I did a quick search, all threads I could find were for older Expeditions.

Are there any aftermarket options for this model year?

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Non CCD

I did a quick search, all threads I could find were for older Expeditions.

Are there any aftermarket options for this model year?
Yes there are. Bilstein 5100 are a good aftermarket shock. This is, I believe what most people go with. I can’t believe the newer ones have this issue. With how few miles you have, I’d take it to the dealer, though.

OP
OP
Schulminator

Schulminator

Reaction score
Yes there are. Bilstein 5100 are a good aftermarket shock. This is, I believe what most people go with. I can’t believe the newer ones have this issue. With how few miles you have, I’d take it to the dealer, though.
Thanks, yes going to dealer today.

Lee Dame

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Limited MAX 4WD with the Towing package (no CCD) and 1 had 2 leaking shocks before 8k miles. My dealer replaced all 4 since they found a 3rd one that had started to leak but had not yet gotten to the point where it was leaking on the floor in the garage. So far, the replacements have held up (at 26k now).

BSarchet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 12,700 on my 2022 and just found clear fluid on the garage floor. I looked underneath and it appeared to originate below the spring and traveled back along the undercarriage on the passenger side. Also have the HD tow package. I assuming it’s a leaking strut but I dropped it off at the dealer today. Hopefully the back order is over. Does anyone know what problems this causes if I do have to drive it like this for a while?

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 12,700 on my 2022 and just found clear fluid on the garage floor. I looked underneath and it appeared to originate below the spring and traveled back along the undercarriage on the passenger side. Also have the HD tow package. I assuming it’s a leaking strut but I dropped it off at the dealer today. Hopefully the back order is over. Does anyone know what problems this causes if I do have to drive it like this for a while?
If the shock is completely toast (rattling and clunking) you have a high risk of damaging the tire which could be really bad at highway speeds.