leaky sunroof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firepuppy

Reaction score
i have a 02 expo eb and the sunroof leaks i have been reading about the rear drip rail coming off and mine is off the water runs out under the visor holder does this sound like a plugged front hose
thanks
firepuppy

OP
OP
F

Firepuppy

Reaction score
rear parking sensor

my rear parking sensors dont work they shut off when i put it in reverse which tells me there is a bad sensor does anyone know how to find the bad sensor or is it something else wrong with it
thanks
firepuppy

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Firepuppy, as for your sunroof, I would start with getting a can of compressed air (like you use to clean your keyboard with and then take some masking tape and wrap the end of the straw to make it about a 1/4" diameter in size. Then place the tape ball up against each of the drain lines and use the compressed air to blow out the lines. Once the lines are free, you can then use a hose or a pitcher with water and flush the lines out.

As for the backup sensors, with the engine off (e-brake set), turn the truck to the RUN position and then put the gear selector in R. Get out and walk around to the back of the truck and put your ear up next to each of the backup sensors. You should hear a high pitch chirp/squeak. If you hear it out of 3 of the 4, then silent sensor is the one that is failed. If none of them are making any noise, then the problem lies in the computer box or the fuse for the system has opened. I would also check to make sure that your reverse lights are on. If they are not, then your backup sensor system will not turn on.

OP
OP
F

Firepuppy

Reaction score
thermo

thanks for the reply thats a good idea i quite didnt think of that i really dont think its that when i close the sunroof if you look on the roof at the sunroof it seems like the rear of the sunroof is higher in the air than the corners and it doesnt seem like the seal is holding out the water

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Firepuppy, with the factory sun roofs, the glass on the outside does not provide a seal. The actual seal is on the inside, facing up to the sky. The seal around the outside of the glass is only there to minimize the amount of water that falls into the void between the glass and the seal. So, for water to be coming in past the seal, your void would have to be filling up, which is a sign that your drainage tubes are plugged. You clear the tubes, you will not have the water intrusion issue any more.

OP
OP
F

Firepuppy

Reaction score
Thermo

Thermo
thanks im not quite understanding your post about the seal the only seal i can see is around the glass it self thas the only seal i can see, now what i can see is if you close the sunroof if you look on top of the sunroof from the outside the rear of the sunroof in the middle sticks up about 1/4 of an inch above the actual roof while the corners are even with the roof now with the middle up so high the seal is like not touching the roof im in the proccess of removing the headliner so i can fix the rain trough that has been pushed back into the roof. is there some way of adjusting the center so it doesnt sit so high up in the middle its almost like the roof is flat and the glass is curved

OP
OP
F

Firepuppy

Reaction score
thermo

From what im gathering from your post is it sounds like there is suppose to be a seal on the roof edge also in conjuntion with the seal around the window cause all i have is a seal around the window it self not on the metal roof

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Firepuppy, if you open up the sunroof, stick your head out the sunroof so you can get a good look. If you look, there is a well all the way around where the sunroof sits into the body of the truck. On the inner edge of this well, there is a raised lip. That lip as I recall has a rubber gasket on it to act as a seal to prevent wind noise. The rubber on the outside of the glass is there to only minimize the amount of water that leaks into the well area under the glass.

OP
OP
F

Firepuppy

Reaction score
Thermo

Thanks im think i know what your saying and if i do then no there is no seal on the truck opening it self its just metal i did take off the glass cause i had to put the rain channel back on and i did find the drivers side track broke do you know where i can get one of them cheap i really dont want to spend 120 for the set but i will if i have to so as for the gasket your telling me there is suppose to be a rubber seal around the metal roof opening plus on the sunroof it self? do you have or know where you can get a pic of this? thanks thermo you have been a great help

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Firepuppy, maybe I am mistaken. I am going off of memory, working on the neighbors Expy back in 2000 time frame none the less. I did find a pic of an open sunroof and I am not seeing the seal like I was thinking of.

As for repair kits, I would say to look on e-bay, but after that, wish you luck. Hopefully you can get one at a good price.