Led conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

getnbzi

Reaction score
hi
I want to change taillights and front signals as well as 3rd brake light to Leds wondering if it voids warranty I have 2017 with an extended warranty

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
This is just my opinion: I believe any warranty on any electrical system could be voided. Nothing else. If your timing chain broke, that should be covered, unless they could somehow relate it to an electrical failure like a solenoid burning out. Your alternator, battery, computer and wiring warranty could be voided. In any case, they would have to show sufficient cause that the LED installation somehow affected the failed part. But whatever they said, you'd have to be ready to fight the fight, in court perhaps. Got the picture?

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
hi
I want to change taillights and front signals as well as 3rd brake light to Leds wondering if it voids warranty I have 2017 with an extended warranty
The warranty can only be void if there is proof the aftermarket part caused the failure of another warrantied part. Most dealers don't see it that way but if you get the warranty paperwork and make them read it you win all day

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've replaced my bulbs with LEDs on exterior and interior except for the 3rd lamp (melted reflector so I need to get a new assembly) and the headlamps (projector housing) because most of the LEDs I tried in projectors left gaps in the beam pattern. My experience left my hyperflash on with just one turn signal & normal on the other unless the headlights were on. I prefer the hyperflash because it gets noticed by drivers but forscan only disables it rather than enabling it full time. Bulbs should not affect your warranty unless the wattage draw exceeds the rating of the socket. A 5w LED will not be bad for an originally 15w bulb socket but the reverse can cause a fire.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am no expert on legal matters, but I can't see how replacing a tungsten bulb with an LED bulb could invalidate a warranty. Do remember LED lights are polarity sensitive so you need to make sure you put them in the correct way round or they will not light up, also replacing the indicator bulbs may cause the flasher relay to flash too quickly (signaling a failed bulb) and if you car informs you when a bulb has failed, LED lights may cause erroneous messages due to the lower current draw of an LED.. LED's produce less heat than a tungsten bulb, consume less current, so all of this is positive and should not invalidate any warranty!! But I am not a solicitor so take my advise for what it's worth!! Which is zero!! :)

Gary