let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
we got another 3-4 inches yesterday. I haven't seen this much snowh around these parts for a great many years.

Yeah the excursion will go through alot..sucks having open diff's though!

well i have this to look forward to...

Booo :Boo: for open diffs!

My 4wd is still down, been far to crappy out to crawl under the truck and F with it, so just living with it. The only thing that has kept life decent on these roads is that LSD. Even with the worst weather and roads we have seen over the last few weeks, there just has been no stopping the ol' truck, it just plows through everything.

I am hoping for some warm weather in the next couple of weeks ( off work over the holiday season) so I can look at the 4wd. Pretty sure I know what the problem is, just need it to warm up enough that I can crawl under the truck for a few hours.

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A good set of snow tires and you wouldn't miss your 4wd too awful much. Expensive though :(

OP
OP
alaskanexpy

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i run good new snow tires (blizzaks on the expy and cooper M+S studded on the excursion) on everything but around here your not getting far with 2wd. hell i have a hard time with my driveway if i try it in 2wd, lot of steep hills and no we dont salt.

OP
OP
alaskanexpy

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
oh so we got about 6" last night but it was a bit odd it came with some light winds. we normally do not get wind with snow...really compacted the snow and made it alittle harder to push.

the only down side to LED tails is they dont make enough heat at 10F to melt the snow off

photo116_zpsd1b67a14.jpg
photo216_zps64295387.jpg
photo47_zpsfa3629e0.jpg
photo53_zpsc178bccc.jpg

Mikes05expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i run good new snow tires (blizzaks on the expy and cooper M+S studded on the excursion) on everything but around here your not getting far with 2wd. hell i have a hard time with my driveway if i try it in 2wd, lot of steep hills and no we dont salt.

Man I wish they would find something other than salt and brine to put on the roads around here, it wreaks havoc on everything on the road.

Sent from my $amsung $III using Tapatalk

OP
OP
alaskanexpy

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man I wish they would find something other than salt and brine to put on the roads around here, it wreaks havoc on everything on the road.

Sent from my $amsung $III using Tapatalk

just gravel....and thats the reason my 3 month old windshield in my excursion is now cracked AGAIN but i'll take that over rust!

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A good set of snow tires and you wouldn't miss your 4wd too awful much. Expensive though :(

Oh yeah, that would make a difference for sure, maybe next year. Although, more likely a set of winter rated A/Ts instead of full on winters. I just can't justify the cost of two different sets of tires for the truck, that would be worth a fair chunk more than I paid for the truck originally.

Probably would have done that this year, but have been looking for a cheap set of 17" wheels for the truck (got 16" now, want to change up the size) and didn't want to buy a set of tires for the current wheels, and then find a different set and have to buy tires again...

I am not too worried about it as the truck is performing admirably and I just don't get in a hurry to get anywhere and pay proper attention to the conditions - unlike 95% of the other drivers in this city.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Woke up to this awesomeness this morning!

mugy7ena.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anders

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Envy you guys!
Extremely depressing, its gonna be a green and dark christmas without snow in my area in Sweden. This is very rare, normally 1-2 feet snow and 7-10 celsius degrees below zero.
The latitude is maybe 200 miles below Anchorage, and Alskanexpy knows how short the daylight hours is. With no snow to lighting things up, and cloudy skies...
Hopefully the New year can bring some colder weather (ok, after long periods with very cold weather you wish something else...)