Liftgate trim panel removal different from other models seen online

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

INF0

Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm attempting to remove the rear interior trim of the liftgate, 2017 Ford Expedition, to examine the connections to camera - we've been having blue screen for month now.
It appears that my trim piece is a bit different than everyone elses'.

Removing the 2 screws near the wiper bolt at the center of liftgate, the 2 screws in the handle in the center, it is supposed to then pop and drop.
However, at the center where everyone shows a "U" shape around the window wiper bolts, to slide around, it is instead an "O" shape, the plastic is AROUND the wiper bolt, looking like it needs to be removed?

What the heck is going on.. I've been pulling and pushing this thing for an hour.
I need help.
Am I removing the wiper bolt now, and is that complicated?
Should I just cut this plastic? I don't see it being terrible afterwards.
Really frustrating 5 minute job taking me 90 minutes and counting.. Normal car stuff.

Thanks.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are body clips holding it on. I've never touched the wiper bolt for this.

OP
OP
I

INF0

Reaction score
Thanks Jason.
The wiper bolt looks pretty durable, a spring in there maybe . I'd rather not mess with.

Here are photos attached.
Here I pull back as hard as I safely can to show what this plastic seems "permanently" attached to.
You can find this between the two plastic swivel screws that popped out of this same part of assembly.
In diagrams online, this is supposed to be "U" slot, that sits vertically on top of that bolt.
Instead, in this Expedition, the trim is a "O" around the bolt and because of some plastic knob on the end of that, the plastic does not fit around.
IMG_20240525_174021378.jpg

Here I just show that the rest of this f#@king thing is loose.
Because this trim is sturdy enough with the other connections to the frame, I am going to likely cut the plastic at this point and forget about it.. install it back and use tape if necessary to keep it from shaking or slapping.
Will wait in case someone has a Eureka / "you're a dummy here's why" reply.
IMG_20240525_173823433.jpgIMG_20240525_173837381.jpg

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sucks, but glad you were able to figure it out. The camera connection on the wire hardness is not sufficiently water and dirt proof. I've cleaned it twice and the last time I tried liquid tape and dielectric grease. It still fails to maintain a solid connection.

This past week I gave in and ordered a replacement harness. If I can get at least two years out of it I'll be satisfied. More shoddy work from Ford.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badbolr