Lifting my Exp... Need some advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
I'm lifting my 98'. 4x4 . I would like to throw some 35's under her.

I was originally thinking 4 ' suspension, then the price got kind of scary. Now I'm thinking 3' body lift, or the ever popular torsion twist and spacer install.

I am not familiar with the later. My Explorer has a 5 inch lift which consists of front coil seats, rear lift shackles and a body lift, but I am very unfamiliar with the process involved with a torsion bar twist and coil spacer install for the Expedition.

Can someone please help me with the process, or show me some before, after pics. possibly a light description of the process.

I have searched but just get the suggestion of what to do for a lift, but not really how to do it.

We really don't do any off roading, but in my town, if you are not lifted, you are looked down upon....(pun intended);)

XLTman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lane24- the torsion twist is free for the front Its simple as twisting a bolt And for the rear you need too remove rear the springs to add the spacers

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lane24

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
I guess I was kinda looking for a little more in depth. Such as maybe where the bolt is, or a 'how to' thread on the rear springs.
I pretty much did the lift on my Explorer using info from Explorer Forums, and I was hoping there was a thread like that here somewhere.
I've searched, but it sounds pretty basic. Maybe as I do it, I'll take some pictures, and post them in a 'how to lift thread' Then dummies like me will have some info.
Or if all else fails... pay someone to do it!!!
I have come to the conclusion of starting off with a 3 in body lift, and if that doesn't float my boat, I'll do the TT and spacer lift.

OP
OP
Lane24

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
One more dumb guy question.... with the TT (torsion twist) and spacer lift, will I need an alignment? Front and back or just front.? Not sure if the rear coils are set up as independant suspensions, or not.

Man.. everything is so much easier on an Explorer 1st gen. I'm just scared of mucking my Expedition up.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not the most educated on this, but in my opinion, any time you make an adjustment to the suspension, I would recommend getting a full alignment. In the long run, an alignment is much cheaper than replacing improperly worn tires or fixing any other issues that could result.

Additionally, the rear suspension on the 1st gen. Expeditions are not independent, iirc.

Best bet for a walk through on this process for the TT would be to check out some F150 forum pages. Hope this helps.

ROCKSBITE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
body lifts on exp make them very sloppy on the road

torsion bars: lay under the b pillar see the round bar coming from the front? follow it back and youll see an arm with a bolt. if you loosen the bolt it comes down if you tighten it, it goes up. make sure you drive it before be set on a height it'll settle up a bit.

the rear is similar to the front of your exploder. maybe a pair of spring compressors is all you need.

i do very advanced rock climbing in a few different trucks. leave the body lift for last. they are as unsafe as they are uggly. unless your jacking them up to the sky.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett