Like an idiot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heathan

Reaction score
Ok so I work on my bikes, but never really got into cars. I had to change the oil in my truck and just didn't feel like picking up a book. So I asked a buddy, he where is the drain plug?? He says see that right there...and I say sure...he says, that's the one.
Now me being the inexperience noob with car mechanics I pull the bolt...and bam...its my tranny fluid all up in the catch pan...So now what I need to know is this....
I have a 1998 Ford Expedition 5.4l 4wd, what kind of tranny fluid do I need, and how much???
Also where is the freakin' oil filter located at...I found the oil drain bolt and have now drained it but need to find the oil filter.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
see all the bolts that go around the pan take them all off and look inside you will find the fliter. fluid is mercon for the r100 or mercon5 for the r70 check with auto parts stor and the gasket is reuseable

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
I seen a few posts like this stating the oil filter on under the bumper...Mine is under the skid plate in the drivers side of the block...???

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
heathan, the oil filter is located in 1 of 2 spots on the truck. It is either on the driver's side, tucked in behind the front bumper or if you look above the CV axle for the front tire, it will be on the side of the block on the driver's side, near the front of the block. The reason for the difference is that some trucks come with an oil cooler which also gets them a remote oil filter mount or the filter is bolted directly to the block (like most vehicles).

As for the tranny fluid, odds are, you are going to need about 8 quarts of tranny fluid if you only drained the pan for the tranny. You will need to use Dexron/Mercon III.

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Hey Thermo...I have two coolers on mine...I know one is tranny for sure...is the other one a engine oil cooler? If your standing in front of the truck looking at it...tranny would be to your left and the other is on the right..or do I have it backwards...never the less my oil filter is on the engine...

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The other one could be then power steering fluid cooler. On my 99 F-150 there was a small cooler that was for that.

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Very well could be...I know once I get I moved next weekend to Tennesse, I plan on putting her up for a while and driving my Impala SS for a while...I want to put a new fan driven trans cooler, new 3 row radiator with electric fans and a few other goodies...

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Baker, it is not the oil cooler. The oil cooler is tucked on the side of the engine and has engine coolant to "cool" the oil. Notice my quotes. If you look at the hose that runs on the drivers side of the engine, if you see 2 small hoses come off of that about 2" apart from the same hose, then you have the oil cooler. Also, if you have the remote oil filter, you have the oil cooler.

Personally, the "oil cooler" is a marketing thing. You are running hot engine coolant through the cooler and the 2 lines feeding the cooler come off of the same engine coolant line 2" apart. How much coolant flow are you really getting through that "cooler". I tore mine off of the truck and went back to the straight on the block filter. But then, I have enough room on the front of my truck that removing the oil filter is easy. Hell, I don't even need any tools any more to change my oil. I slide a 5 gallon gas can under the truck, slide in my special tube to drain the oil directly into the 5 gallon gas can and then I use a little drip tray to catch what falls out of the filter as I spin it off the engine. Changing the oil is so much easier now that I spent a few bucks. Granted, kinda hand to because the lift was right in the way of where the oil drained and if I didn't do what I did, oil would end up everywhere (how do I know? Think about it). What a mess that was.

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
So sounding like a total idiot...and on cheap prescription drugs..oil filter on the block..I assume that other cooler up front is power steering? Oh why I have you laughing and your attention...LOL...I put a new battery in last night and drove it today...what I noticed was upon start up and driving it showed 14.1 - 14.2 on my Edge steady...I dropped my wife at the grocery store and waited about 15 to 20 minutes in the truck and let it idle..and it went down to 13.7-13.8 but when i started driving again and got it cooled off wit the breeze it went back to 14.1 14.2...Im concerned going to Florida with the extreme heat and dont want to cook a new battery...you thoughts?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani