Load Levelizer runs alot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I have a 1999 and the load levelizer air compressor runs a lot more than when I bought it. I thought that there was maybe a leak in the hoses but there was nothing obivous. Any ideas on how to find smaller leaks, can't get to a lot of places with a soap solution, or is there possibly a different problem, e.g., the sensor?

I have ripped off by the Ford dealer here and don't want to go back to him. The technicians charged me a lot of money to NOT fix problems.

TIA

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have the system, but two points:

1) You have to make sure the compressor is still capable of putting out the pressure and air volume. The pistons/valves may be leaking causing problems. Try testing the compressor outlet with a pressure gauge to see if it gets to rated pressure ever.

2) If the compressor is okay, and you have tested all the easy to get to places with a soap solution, then you will probably have to isolate each line that goes to each corner air spring, and test that it holds pressure. It is then a simple issue of replacing that line (did I really say simple issue????).

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I am sure others will chime in.:rockband:

OP
OP
G

The compreesor is obviously putting out air because it would run continuously if it weren't. Two things to check are:
There is a black plastic looking hose near the master cylinder that we see come apart lot. It has a fitting connecting two hoses and it tends to seperate. If this looks ok and you see no signs of bubbling when testing with soap, then inspect the rear bags. They wear over time and start seeping out air. You can see little cracks in the bags and this is a good indication that they could be leaking. Bags are very expensive so make sure you have the proper diagnosis.
As for the Ford dealer ripping you off. I work for Ford and we often experience customers that don't understand or know how to operate their vehicles. Alot of times we are accused of charging too much. The facts are that when you bring your vehicle in for service, unless under factory waranty, you sign a paper accepting the charges for diagnostics. If the technician tests the system of concern and finds that it is operating properly, you will still be charged the diagnostic fee that you accepted. If the concern is not present at the time of diagnostics then the problem may not be identified at that time. The dealers that I have worked for stand behind all repairs made in their shop. If you have an issue with the services performed then you should speak with the service manager and explain your situation. However, don't expect to get everything for free. I'm sure you don't work for free. In many case, if the concern isn't present at the time I inspect the vehicle the customer can bring back when concerns are present and I will retest for free. If the concern is normal for this vehicle then you are on your own. There are many aftermarket shops out there that will charge you less per hour but just keep selling you parts untill something fixes the concern. In the long run the Ford dealer would have been less to begin with. I hope you put trust back into the dealer, after all they have a name to uphold.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have two Ford dealerships in my area, and not one of them is worth a cr@p. They have never been able to do anything but find a way to charge me money. I have since found a local shop where they go WAAAAY out their way to fix and solve problems, and for a better price.

I did though, need an emergency repair (alternator go out on a Saturday morning while driving during a vacation), and I could find a Lincoln/Mercury dealership that had the part...they were great! But this ratio is still bad. All in all, I have heard more horror stories with dealerships than with private shops, who can only make money from repairs and repeat business due to good service.