Looking for recommendations for type of fire extinguisher and best locations to mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Given the recent posting about fires in our vehicles I decided to purchase a fire extinguisher. That got me thinking that need through and find I have some additional questions:

1) Looking for tips on where to place fire extinguisher in a 4th generation
2) Best type of extinguisher for vehicles that will minimize damage to electronics
2) Roadside flares. Most of the striker style road flares are only good for 15 minutes, that barely covers unloading everything to access jack if on vacation. Thinking reflective warnings might be best.

I did a search in this forum and didn't find much. Anyone have ideas or suggestions?

TDBDLB

Reaction score
I mounted a marine grade extinguisher in my Gen3 on tray in very back.
There are many electric flare systems now available from cheap to pricey.
Example

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ended up getting a 2.5 lb halon fire extinguisher that is rated at 5BC. It was the smallest that I could find with a 5BC rating to meet DOT requirements for our F350 that wouldn't cause an issue with electronics. Mounts easily under the back seat in our F350. Major drawback is they are pricey.

KFordEx8

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have thought about looking into a mount where a fire extinguisher can be placed within east reach of the driver.

Something like this comes to mind:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Tried the Bracketeer. A good invention ruined by shoddy, cheap Chinese construction. Flimsy, poorly machined crap that kept coming loose and rattling around. Funny that their data sheet says Made in USA. The box says China, along with the quality and gold sticker.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was in the same boat with the flare conversation. Found these, and love them. Only used 1-2x, but they really work amazing. I found 5-6 to be the perfect number (especially if you pace them out appropriately, you'll want a few extra), so I split these up between two cars, and the magnet is great because it sticks to the side of the car, really helps with visibility and much brighter than the stock hazard lights.

As for the fire extinguisher, I'd suggest being careful with auto fires they are usually fast and hot. Far faster than most people can help control and the primary focus should be getting out of the car. Futzing with an extinguisher might cut into that precious time, so just be cautious. But here's a good, detailed resource for extinguishers:

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have thought about looking into a mount where a fire extinguisher can be placed within east reach of the driver.

Something like this comes to mind:
I'm in total agreement. In case of an accident or rollover I'd want the fire extinguisher within reach of the driver. I can't think of anything much worse than being trapped in a burning car with a fire extinguisher just out of reach in the back. Also looking at some of the brackets the extinguisher would probably become a projectile in an accident

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That web site just points you to Amazon "partners" and earns commissions on what they push. Paid promotion, so to speak.

Good catch, I don't usually click through, but did find their content pretty useful when I was researching them