Loose rod cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

palauborne

Reaction score
Picked up my 2005 Expedition from the Ford dealer on Saturday. They just accomplished a free oil change, replaced one of the clothes hanger brackets, and did some troubleshooting on my fuel gage problem. On the drive home, the engine lost all power and the check engine light came on. I pulled over immediately and called for the free tow from Ford. The dealer called me today and said that one of the cylinders had a loose rod bearing cap. Yikes!!! has anyone had this problem?

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank god you're still under warranty. It seems like people either have a bunch of problems with these or none at all. I've had mine for 40k miles now and havn't done anything but change fluids and filters. Hope everything goes well for you.

jimboh247

Reaction score
To be honest, it sounds like they're full of crap. Anybody else feel like the oil change caused the engine to lock up? Did you check the oil? They may be covering their own butts claiming it as warrantee work.

OP
OP
P

palauborne

Reaction score
Here is the real story from the mechanic who fixed the problem. I was able to talk to him directly at the dealership. Seems there was some kind of sealant or gasket particle in the right head blocking the oil flow into the rear. The mechanic says there is no place on the Expedition where they use that part...seems strange. It apparently has been starving the head of oil for some time. Well, it wore down several internal pieces within the head. They replaced the head free of charge. There has been no problem with the truck since then. Not that I don't trust the dealership, but it seems awfully coincidental that all of this occurred once they changed the oil. Lesson learned: always accomplish the oil changes myself like I have in the past. Forget the free services they offer!!!

im4u2nv81

Reaction score
Originally posted by palauborne
Here is the real story from the mechanic who fixed the problem. I was able to talk to him directly at the dealership. Seems there was some kind of sealant or gasket particle in the right head blocking the oil flow into the rear. The mechanic says there is no place on the Expedition where they use that part...seems strange. It apparently has been starving the head of oil for some time. Well, it wore down several internal pieces within the head. They replaced the head free of charge. There has been no problem with the truck since then. Not that I don't trust the dealership, but it seems awfully coincidental that all of this occurred once they changed the oil. Lesson learned: always accomplish the oil changes myself like I have in the past. Forget the free services they offer!!!

so whats that got to do with a loose rod cap? The rods connect to the crank, which I'm sure you're aware of. The cylinder head is attached to the block, completely independent of the crank/rods.

one more thing. If there are worn pieces in the head, I'd be wary of metal shavings in your oiling system. Worn bearings and scored cylinder walls come next.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65