Lower Valance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

kodigray2015

Reaction score
Well they way I look at it, personally for me the thing looks stupid & ugly (personal opinion). It is some what of a pia to get off since you have to remove several plastic clips, several 10mm bolts, wheel well bolts in the front, and the spring clips for said wheel well bolts. Probably a total of 20-30 minutes worth of time. For me to lose up to 1 mpg, I think I can deal with that for the trade off of a better looking vehicle.

So the seldom trips that would put me on the interstate to be driving long distances at 70+ mph just to possibly lose 27 miles on a full tank of gas are few and far between per year. I believe I can deal with that. It is each person choice to decide if the y are good with losing a little gas mileage to make there expy look better (personal opinion). There is probably less mileage loss to doing this than putting a storage rack or light bar on the roof rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They want as little air going under the vehicle as possible, because it all causes drag when it encounters the underbody components. It also helps the airflow thru the radiator, by creating a negative pressure underneath it so more air can go thru the radiator for cooling.

Craigga542

Reaction score
Well they way I look at it, personally for me the thing looks stupid & ugly (personal opinion). It is some what of a pia to get off since you have to remove several plastic clips, several 10mm bolts, wheel well bolts in the front, and the spring clips for said wheel well bolts. Probably a total of 20-30 minutes worth of time. For me to lose up to 1 mpg, I think I can deal with that for the trade off of a better looking vehicle.

So the seldom trips that would put me on the interstate to be driving long distances at 70+ mph just to possibly lose 27 miles on a full tank of gas are few and far between per year. I believe I can deal with that. It is each person choice to decide if the y are good with losing a little gas mileage to make there expy look better (personal opinion). There is probably less mileage loss to doing this than putting a storage rack or light bar on the roof rack.

I agree, all a matter of opinion. I frequently drive above 70 and take longs trips yet I still may take it off, it’s ugly. I care a lot about efficiency but again I didn’t buy this thing for mpg. I also use it in light off road situations where ground clearance matters, if I don’t remove it there’s no way it’ll survive.

FWIW, the manual does mention removing it for off road situations. For driving below 60, I’m guessing you wouldn’t even notice it whether there was a headwind or not.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took it off within a month of owning mine. ;)

I did not buy it for gas mileage. I bought it to tow. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 17’ Superduty has a huge one. And if you take it off you will see part of the frame horns. At least the Expy gives you a clean look without it.
bf0891c7c07b7857a182d3f72f1dccf5.jpg

Robert McMillan

17plati
Reaction score
I cut 4” off of mine on both my 16s, saw no loss in mpg at any speed, saw no performance differences and saw zero increase in any type of engine or coolant temps. It’s a piece of plastic that can just be trashed

Robert McMillan

17plati
Reaction score
It's definitely not for esthetics.

The extensive wind tunnel and real world scientific testing by auto manufacturers necessitated the need for it to maximize airflow for better efficiency. All vehicles, going back decades, have some variation.

I personally hate how it looks.

Removing it will have some minor effects on gas mileage. Just like disabling the engine auto-stop/start feature.

Every little bit helps the auto companies meet EPA standards. It's a balancing act. Multiply small gains in MPG over thousands of vehicles and there's the main reason.

there’s zero difference in efficiency and even if there was it would be less than 1%. My family has owned multiple vehicles over the past 15 years, 4 SUVs, a mustang, f350s all of them have had those ugly valences removed and not one single difference in efficiency or anything has ever been noticed to say “oh shit I better put this back on”

sure in a laboratory setup in perfect conditions they may see differences but we don’t drive in f-ing wind tunnels in perfect conditions do we fellas?

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My buddy nearly ripped his off (of an F150) going down some pretty mundane two-tracks in an area that we hunt. The damn things steal nearly 2-inches of ground clearance. Fortunately, I had my toolkit with me and we took it off when we got back to camp. He's never put it back on in the 4 years he's owned the truck (I think it's a 2016, maybe a 2017 ...but basically the same stance as our Expy's). Anyway, I told him he might want to put it back on for gas mileage; however, he said he noticed NO CHANGE in MPG and decided to leave it off.

I haven't taken mine off ...yet; however, I've only owned it for a little over a month. It'll definitely be coming off the first time we go boondocking or when I go hunting in October.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 17’ Superduty has a huge one. And if you take it off you will see part of the frame horns. At least the Expy gives you a clean look without it.
bf0891c7c07b7857a182d3f72f1dccf5.jpg

There is a YouTube guy that replaced his with a low profile one. It covers the frame and looks a whole lot better.

I will try to see if I can find him. I want to say his name is something like workandplay or something. He uses his trucks for plowing in the winter and stuff, but added a 2019 or 2020 F250 to his cadre of trucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk