Lowered too low?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenny Brown

Reaction score
I'm new to the 4x4 world. I've owned 4 of them but never got into the details. My 97 was lowered by Kenny Brown Perf. back when new. The front susp. looks like it is only about 6" off the deck. This is a little too low for me cause I drive in the snow and don't want to worry about dragging. That said, should I go back to stock or use a lift kit to raise it? The rear has air bags with a valve installed on the dash behind the steering wheel co-located with a gauge... Just a note; Is it possible to get the same ride as my 03 Expedition. It handles much better than my 97...
Thx

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, if it's a 4x4 and its lowered, it most likely was done by adjusting the torsion bars. That being the case, it was probably only lowered 2" at most.

If it was done this way, it could be readjusted, but its a PITA you wouldn't want to go through every time there is snow. Anyway, the two inch drop probably won't affect your ability to drive in the snow much. What exactly are you worried about dragging? Are you talking about driving offroad?

If the front suspension looks different than stock, I need more details before I can know how it was lowered or what can be done to adjust it.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That looks like more than 2" to me...Probably was more done than just adjusting the torsion bars.

OP
OP
K

Kenny Brown

Reaction score
Thanks. I thought so. I measured it about 4.25" from the deck to the lowest point on the front suspention... I'm going to get a Hanes and try to learn what stock was. The dealer that sent it out back in 97 might know something. I'll check Thur.

Buck Nasty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definately looks like more than a 2" drop! More like 4"+! Hard to tell via picture though.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please don't undo that sick drop. I'm sure a lot of work went into making it sit that way. I'd kill to have that stance on my 4x4.

Buy a thousand dollar beater for the snow. It'd probably be cheaper than going back to stock, too. :p

OP
OP
K

Kenny Brown

Reaction score
Thanks Remo. I'm with you for the most part. I don't really want to raise it. It really is my ideal vehicle. I do like it a lot. However, I hit a chuck hole 2 weeks ago and I think it might have bottomed out because the torsion bars snapped. Then it was about 2" off the ground. From there it had to be flat bedded... I'm told these go out from time to time. The SUV has been sitting for most of it's life in a heated barn. I wander if the torque had something to do with it? Hmm... Would air up front make a diff? Or would this only raise the body. Not sure, just got my Haynes today.

OP
OP
K

Kenny Brown

Reaction score
I spoke with a local "rock climber" and he said air up front would raise the suspention? Right now it is in the shop getting leveled. They are matching the left side with the right. For some reason unknown to us, the first owner had the right side about an inch.5 higher than the left? They might be able to give it an inch more lift with the torsion bar.

OP
OP
K

Kenny Brown

Reaction score
Ok. Kenny Brown did upgrade most of the front end. However, the tortion bars were adjusted so far back to obtain max. lowering, my ride was like a boat in a storm... We moved them up a little and now it rides like an over grown sports car! I will not be trying to get it any higher. When it gets warmer I will send some pics. This thing has traction bars! Is this normal? Are there Ford add-on traction bars for Expeditions?