LT Tires / Load Range

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geargambler

Reaction score
Lets talk a bit about towing using tires that have a better load range than stock. I think the highest I've seen for my 20 inch limited wheels was an E.

The question came up though - is it really necessary?

The tires currently on my expedition are terrible -otsu's I think? Dealer put them on before I bought the truck. I guess the tires needed to be replaced. they are terrible in the snow.

I'm currently looking at the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT - Size: LT275/55R20 which is a load range E and seems to be highly rated in the snow.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those are great tires, I've run them in 17" on a Silverado 3500 and they have lots of grip, smooth and quiet and deep tread. Can't go wrong with a Cooper LT tire in my opinion.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pirrelli Scorpion is also a good choice for snow. They do wear a bit quicker, but better traction whether in Snow or dry is the trade-off on any good tire.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
I think my Falken Wildpeaks (E) towed better than stock. Plus they seemed to track better overall.

As many have mentioned before, comfortable towing seems to be a combination of proper hitch weight, even loading in the trailer, WDH setup, ball height, proper tires (on trailer and tow vehicle), and proper tire inflation. And my personal experience last year reflects that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have Falken Wildpeaks LT tires and love them. Phenomenal is snow and wet roads, not loud at all. I air them up to 45 in front and 55 in the rear when towing and they are exceptional! Keep them at 38 otherwise.

OP
OP
Geargambler

Geargambler

Reaction score
Pirrelli Scorpion is also a good choice for snow. They do wear a bit quicker, but better traction whether in Snow or dry is the trade-off on any good tire.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk
I didn't look them up. what is the load rating on those?

OP
OP
Geargambler

Geargambler

Reaction score
I think my Falken Wildpeaks (E) towed better than stock. Plus they seemed to track better overall.

As many have mentioned before, comfortable towing seems to be a combination of proper hitch weight, even loading in the trailer, WDH setup, ball height, proper tires (on trailer and tow vehicle), and proper tire inflation. And my personal experience last year reflects that.

Agreed! Comfortable towing is the entire package. I completely understand (won't get into details). For this thread, I'm just talking about where the rubber meets the road! nice to see another tire that works great in snow and has the credentials to tow with!

OP
OP
Geargambler

Geargambler

Reaction score
I also have Falken Wildpeaks LT tires and love them. Phenomenal is snow and wet roads, not loud at all. I air them up to 45 in front and 55 in the rear when towing and they are exceptional! Keep them at 38 otherwise.
Interesting that you're the second one to mention these tires. And I appreciate the info on the PSI - I had not considered that. Typically I would just keep the tire pressure at the rated pressure (xl rated tire). I do understand that the load range E can go to the higher PSI!

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
Interesting that you're the second one to mention these tires. And I appreciate the info on the PSI - I had not considered that. Typically I would just keep the tire pressure at the rated pressure (xl rated tire). I do understand that the load range E can go to the higher PSI!

Mine go to 80psi when towing, otherwise I run 65psi.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine go to 80psi when towing, otherwise I run 65psi.

mine will hold 80psi too, just don't need to in my situation. The other thing these tires have is a 60k tread wear warranty. Not many LT tires give a warranty on that

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni