Metal bricks welded to the exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eugene11

Reaction score
Hi everyone, today I tried to install the RCI Cat Guards and faced a little frustration. Does anyone know what the heck are these metal bricks welded to my pipes right down after the cats?
I've seen the post of successful guards install from 5280tunage (https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/rci-skid-plates.50246/post-479472) and he doesn't have such on 4th gen, looks weird.
What if I cut those bricks off?

Screenshot_411.png

Screenshot_410.pngScreenshot_409.png

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was just under my new-to-me 2013 and I can swear I saw something like that. Perhaps to keep the pipes from vibrating at certain speeds.

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Typically those are to add mass to the exhaust system to address a resonance issue. Prob some issue at a particular rpm that vibrates the exhaust, adding mass changes that point. Take it off and you might find that speed/load point.

OP
OP
E

eugene11

Reaction score
Yeah, that was my assumption as well, sort of vibro dampers. To me it looks like a quick dirty hack before production release. The weirdest is the fact 18+ guys don't have it, F-150s don't, while my 17' Expy does.

Question to the collective brain, any ideas what may be inside? They look like thin metal sheet half-cylindrical boxes, not a solid chunk of steel. Sand? Lead? Rocks?:) Before I perform a damper-ectomy, it's always better to know what to expect.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65