Monroe vs Bilstein 5100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Monotube is better. Not sure if the bilstein 4600 series is available but that could be an option. However on my gen2 I have the rancho 9000 and can dial in whatever ride you wish. I have them cranked to highest setting but you can soften it up if you want depending on wheel and tires. I am back to all terrain oem so firm feels best with this set up. And I have the quicklift set up too. So new springs as well. Rides much better than my 2013 f150;) I just put 4600s on the back of that one last week.

OP
OP
L

larkja

Reaction score
So...

Go with Bilstein 5100s unless you want to go with Monroes, unless you want to go with KYBs. Then there are the Rancho QuickLifts which work well when dialed up until they don't need to be dialed up.

So to summarize:
Bilstein >KYB>Monroe except in those cases where Monroe>Bilstein or KYB>Bilstein, in which case Monroe=KYB>Bilstein unless the Rancho is in the picture.

Thanks ;)

OP
OP
L

larkja

Reaction score
Dial shocks only get dialed one time but you pay for the feature.

I had Ranchos on a Jeep JK. They were a nice feature when I changed out tires - went from 32s to 35s. The extra sidewall made things bouncy, so I stiffened up the shocks and was GTG. I also like the fact the Ranchos have a lift feature which means I don't need a lift kit.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had Ranchos on a Jeep JK. They were a nice feature when I changed out tires - went from 32s to 35s. The extra sidewall made things bouncy, so I stiffened up the shocks and was GTG. I also like the fact the Ranchos have a lift feature which means I don't need a lift kit.
I can see off-roaders changing the dial quite often. I can't find a 1 1/2" lift kit for the the front of my '07 Navigator so would certain Rancho shocks work for that?

Brent Harward

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Monroes. Got'm. Point: Get rid of the stock shocks. They're terrible, unless you like driving a parade float! I've got Bilsteins on our Mustang GT. Like'm. But they're stiff and cost more labor to install than Monroes. If you're doing it yourself you have to manually take the old spring/shock assy upart n reinstall.