More TPMS (tire pressure monitor sensors) info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drive an SUV that retailed for 60K+. Sorry, I don’t see an issue in replacing $160 in TPMS sensors. Even if I had to replace all 4 at once out of cycle for $400. Just don’t see the issue.

Again. I have seen the value.

I monitor many things regularly, the pressures are just one.

Again, I like data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
But that's you, not everyone can afford to do that. What about the single mother that makes minimum wage and her 2007 Ford Fiesta suddenly gets a pressure warning? I am seeing some paranoia and O.C.D. here and you can watch your dialogue box and I will watch my tires...……...it's all good. Also that Tire-rack ad is probably for a 2002 Russian Zomboto and they have been trying to sell them all before the batteries go bad.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know what degree in "science" you have and from what safe space university, but I literally had a rock-solid 32 PSI in my Explorer's tires for YEARS.

I very seldom added any air into them. Maybe once every 4-5 years, when they would go down to 29-30 PSI. That held true for both my summer and winter set. Plus our Canadian winters are quite severe.

I really don't care what you *think* you know about physics, I'm just saying it like it was, from experience. Unlike you, I never asked Stephen Hawking to explain it to me. I just drove the f**king thing and only added air when needed, lol.

And any argument with you like normal disintegrates in to insults, cussing, and name calling. Thanks for being consistent.

No safe space university. Spent MANY years getting my hands dirty on cars and trucks. Not a “snowflake” as you are assuming I am, just because I disagree with you.

Moving on. Have a nice night.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But that's you, not everyone can afford to do that. What about the single mother that makes minimum wage and her 2007 Ford Fiesta suddenly gets a pressure warning? I am seeing some paranoia and O.C.D. here and you can watch your dialogue box and I will watch my tires...……...it's all good. Also that Tire-rack ad is probably for a 2002 Russian Zomboto and they have been trying to sell them all before the batteries go bad.

We aren’t talking a 2007 fiesta, we are talking Expeditions.

I watch my tires too, just use all the things available to me, and the TPMS is just one other. The other things I watch are mostly related to my Engine tuning.

It is not a tire rack ad. Just looked them up. Probably made in the exact same place as the Motorcraft ones. [emoji23]

All good. Have a good night.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And any argument with you like normal disintegrates in to insults, cussing, and name calling. Thanks for being consistent.

No safe space university. Spent MANY years getting my hands dirty on cars and trucks. Not a “snowflake” as you are assuming I am, just because I disagree with you.

Moving on. Have a nice night.

Tell you what : don't call me a liar and I won't snap back. Deal?

As for experience with wrenching, I've spent the last 20+ years doing all maintenance on our family's cars, trucks and SUVs, plus helped other people with their cars as well. The only things I don't touch is engine / transmission rebuilds.

Many of my acquaintances work as mechanics and are a wealth of information to me also, whom I trust more than some random internet guy who claims to have a "degree in science". That kind of superior posturing is snowflake territory indeed; when they are losing an argument or trying to prove a point, they default to their "credentials".

Good night to you as well.

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know what degree in "science" you have and from what safe space university, but I literally had a rock-solid 32 PSI in my Explorer's tires for YEARS. All 8 of them.

I very seldom added any air into them. Maybe once every 4-5 years, when they would go down to 29-30 PSI. That held true for both my summer and winter set. Plus our Canadian winters are quite severe. Your "1-3 PSI per month loss" claim is ridiculous! (stop buying your tires on sale at Walmart, lol!)

I really don't care what you *think* you know about physics, I'm just saying it like it was, from experience. Unlike you, I never asked Stephen Hawking to explain it to me. I just drove the f**king thing and only added air when needed, lol.

Anyway, TPMS is for people who can't figure out how to start a lawn mower if it doesn't have an electric start and an iPhone app, IMHO. I'll pass on this "great innovation" any day of the week!

I’m rather new to this forum, but I also have years of automotive experience...everything from pursuit driving in law enforcement to my dad racing stock cars and turning wrenches since I was a kid.

Like LokiWolf, i also appreciate TPMS. If I hit a nail while driving, it doesn’t matter how many laps around my Expy i did looking at the tires BEFORE I started driving...what matters is...am I going to slow down and see if there’s a problem or potentially not realize it until it’s not safe to take a corner or worse yet has a blow out? Technology that potentially keeps me and others safer is wonderful. (Or maybe you’re ok with one of us losers lacking TPMS potentially slamming into your vehicle?)

Criticizing people who have a different opinion than you whom you know nothing about is ignorant and uncalled for. I don’t have to be condescending and call you names because you don’t like TPMS. Neither do you have to be condescending and call names do to those who do.

I know how to start my lawnmower and I like my TPMS system.

I was raised to look people in the eye if i disagree with them and do it respectfully. Quit doing it from behind a computer screen...it’s a cheap ass move and it shows your true character.

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m rather new to this forum, but I also have years of automotive experience...everything from pursuit driving in law enforcement to my dad racing stock cars and turning wrenches since I was a kid.

Like LokiWolf, i also appreciate TPMS. If I hit a nail while driving, it doesn’t matter how many laps around my Expy i did looking at the tires BEFORE I started driving...what matters is...am I going to slow down and see if there’s a problem or potentially not realize it until it’s not safe to take a corner or worse yet has a blow out? Technology that potentially keeps me and others safer is wonderful. (Or maybe you’re ok with one of us losers lacking TPMS potentially slamming into your vehicle?)

Criticizing people who have a different opinion than you whom you know nothing about is ignorant and uncalled for. I don’t have to be condescending and call you names because you don’t like TPMS. Neither do you have to be condescending and call names do to those who do.

I was raised to look people in the eye if i disagree with them and do it respectfully. Quit doing it from behind a computer screen...it’s a cheap ass move and it shows your true character.

Looks like you are doing it hiding behind a computer screen now.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Law enforcement? That makes two of us, then. So in your career as a patrol officer, you never drove a police pack without TPMS? No Crown Vic, Caprice or Taurus, ever? If so, how did you ever manage to survive a pursuit without it? Could it be that you can actually feel a low tire on a car or truck by the way it drives?

I've had nails, bolts and other stuff in the tires on more than one occasion, on and off the job. Some were accidental, some were due to a bunch of dipsh*ts leaving nails under tires in our parking lot on purpose. As soon as the car takes off, you can hear it right away. If it's already in motion when you hit the nail, you will hear it too as you slow down. It's akin to having a piece of gravel stuck in the thread of the tire. Ever driven on a gravel road and then back onto asphalt? Yeah, just like that.

As for being "condescending", he better back off calling me a liar. I drove my old truck with a rock-solid PSI for YEARS, without ever adding any air. According to our friend here, I should've been driving on 4 flats after 6 to 8 months. :rolleyes:

Sorry bud, but I've spent he last 20 years dealing with people who attempt to feed me bullsh*t on a daily basis. If not entertaining their b.s. and calling them out on it is considered "condescending" in your book, so be it. I'm no politician and I don't pretend to be.

For what it's worth, you and me have no problem.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So we all are and we like different things. I hate tpms and you like it and 762mm hates it too …………...so whatever.

Exactly. Like or hate whatever you want, I don't care... TPMS is as useless as **** on a bull for me, but that's me. I just wish it was an option we can "opt out" of easily, like an OFF switch in the dash menu!

The problem here is that folks shouldn't call other people liars using their stellar credentials, especially if they're gonna talk nonsense that's easily proven false.

Simple.

Last edited: