MPG vs Cruise control report.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just keep the 4A OFF to save the wear and tear..... Fuels an added bonus.

Plati

Reaction score
2014EL 5.4 transfer case (AWD capable)

I just drove 2200 miles interstate Wyoming to NY. Tested gas mileage as reported by the vehicle computer running in AWD or 2WD under various conditions, at speed. Sometimes I ran 6 hours or more or less and I switched back and forth from 2WD to AWD about 6 times.
Obviously hills not the same or wind or speed or fuel etc so a little sketchy. At no time did I find a big difference in MPG. I obtained 14.5 to 15.2 MPG depending on the run. It almost seemed like AWD might be giving me better MPG but not much if anything. As I headed east the speed limit goes from 80 to 65. Better MPG at 65.

Those new light truck tires seem to really hit my MPG.
I'll be putting my summer tires back on soon and will see if that gets me back to 17MPG

Last edited:

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New tires lower fuel mileage. More tread to flex. Usually see 5% reduction in mpg going from old worn tires to new ones.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aggressive tires absolutly kill MPG. My buddy put some 8 plys on his 1/2 ton and it cut 3-4 mpg off. Be careful what you put on for tires. Some are crazy heavy and then the wind resistance is also a factor.

Plati

Reaction score
Aggressive tires absolutly kill MPG. My buddy put some 8 plys on his 1/2 ton and it cut 3-4 mpg off. Be careful what you put on for tires. Some are crazy heavy and then the wind resistance is also a factor.
Yes. I like those tires! Those are the tires for ME

re: Lounge closing ... ABOUT TIME. Place was biZzaRe

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@MrSticker

Are you saying the older trucks like your 2014 have awd mode? Or are you calling 4A awd? I think it's sad the newer trucks dont have the 4A.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. I like those tires! Those are the tires for ME

re: Lounge closing ... ABOUT TIME. Place was biZzaRe
Only reason we post in lounge is it's the appropriate place for generic or non specific conversations.
Won't be much reason to be here if we can't discuss everything and enjoy killing time here.

Plati

Reaction score
@MrSticker

Are you saying the older trucks like your 2014 have awd mode? Or are you calling 4A awd? I think it's sad the newer trucks dont have the 4A.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
My 2014EL has 2WD 4A 4H 4L settings
My 2003XLT has 2WD A4WD 4H 4L settings

the 4A and the A4WD setting are the same .... and IMHO are AWD
but industry standard definitions are fuzzy on the meaning of 4WD & AWD, I guess maybe
I (luckily) have no idea what newer trucks have