MPG when towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a 2017 expedition EL limited ,eco boost, 4WD, power running boards with navigation and HD tow package. I usually average 19mpg with day to day driving.
Starting on page 94 of the owners manual are descriptions of the information displays for setting up a trailer. It is not required to set up a trailer via the display, but if you have trailer brakes its best to follow the TT brake setup procedure.

In addition, you can select the "Tow/Haul" option which modifies the transmission shift points.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
You can set the "miles to empty" prediction to Towing on the left dash display. Only thing I know this does is activate the Low Fuel light earlier with a more realistic number of miles until empty. I think this is independent of the truck actually towing anything. Probably uses very recent fuel consumption information, not the past 500 or so miles of general driving.

I have two trailers stored in the computer. One is my travel trailer and the setting retains brake settings for the electric brakes. The other is "Uhaul" and assumes no electric brakes. Accumulates trailer miles for both but does not to my knowledge change the miles to empty prediction.

-- Chuck

Iowan

Reaction score
Welcome to the world of towing, my 08s job is towing a 30' travel trailer @ 7500 lbs 8 mpg is a good day but I've gotten 20 pulling the open car trailer with a car on @ 6000 lbs.
One thing I've noticed is that my 08 likes going 55 because I've gotten 24 mpg empty with it and that's were it does best.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, that seems low, I have a 24' foot (8.5 foot wide) twin axle enclosed trailer that is usually loaded up with 6 motorbikes, generators and other items, I see about 7.5MPG, but before I used to pull a 16 foot twin axle (but only 7 foot wide) and would see around 10mpg, I don't know if its the extra width or the extra weight that makes the 24 foot trailer so much harder to pull, but I would have expected a better MPG from your setup..

Gary

gtncpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Towing a car on a trailer resulted in 12MPG on my 2017. My trailer is a BigTex (heavy steel ... diamond plate ect) and the car is a BMW 3 Series. The 2017 towes better then my 2014 but if you are not careful with the Ecoboost you can end up in the single digit area.

ElliottM

Reaction score
We have a 2016 configured similar to yours, OP, and as others have stated, your mileage is expected. We tow a boat that weighs about 4000 lbs and get about 10mpg if I am lead-footed, a little more if I back off. We also tow a 30' travel trailer that weighs about 8000 pounds and get 7-8mpg towing that.

Steve in WV

Reaction score
speed kills (mileage). Just a couple mph's can make a very noticeable difference in my experience.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Towing a car on a trailer resulted in 12MPG on my 2017. My trailer is a BigTex (heavy steel ... diamond plate ect) and the car is a BMW 3 Series. The 2017 towes better then my 2014 but if you are not careful with the Ecoboost you can end up in the single digit area.

It must be wind resistance being the culprit. Towing my dual axle 6'x14' (6' 3" interior height) diamond trailer empty on the highway, I never got above 10mpg. When I towed my 2016 Camaro SS on a dual axle uHaul car trailer, I was getting 12mpg. This on the same route. The Camaro and trailer had to weigh at at least 3,000lbs more. Wind resistance is a killer on mpg. Both towed around 65mph.

Last edited: