MPG when towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nycnftm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My favorite post I ever read on this website is ‘If you want good gas mileage, leave it in the garage’

I use mine in place of a van. The rear seats are down and it is always full. I get 8-10 mpg. The rest of the time I drive my Accord.

I really want an EL.

Expy guy

Reaction score
On a trip from Pa to Florida towing an enclosed trailer with 2 harley's I would get 11.5 MPG in my 04 Expy with a 5.4, 3.73 gears.
On the same trip with my 17 Limited 3.31 gears I got 8.5 MPG.
Not towing I had gotten 15 MPG at best around town on my 04. My 2017 gets 19 MPG.
Most of the time we are not towing, so over all MPG is far better.

WesT

Reaction score
Sorry to say BUT anyone who buys a large SUV 4X4 that at best averages 19 in perfect conditions should be happy to get 8 - 9 towing 4k or more...you must admit it did a great job, a plus for sure for the Great Expy....my $.02...

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious what make/model the OP towed this trailer with prior to an Expedition, and what the fuel mileage was on it.

Did you use the 'tow/haul' mode feature? Overdrive turned off?

Usually a pair of ATV's in an enclosed trailer bring along a heavy tool box, spare parts, several full gas cans, outdoor furniture, riding gear, etc. 800 pounds of Suzuki, 750 pounds of Honda, 3K worth of stuff.

Helo driver

Reaction score
These engines pull so much better than previous years. The sacrifice on mpg is worth it. My last Expy, an early 97 with the 4.6 was good for 17 mpg, but our last trip moving was horrible. Loaded 16' enclosed trailer on flatland Illinois...8 mpg. Coming back empty, fighting a 20 mph head wind, 4....
Only one experience towing with my 17, 4500# Kubota backhoe up and down a few hills. Actually dogged a new charger climbing a hill.:wave:

Mean_Dean

Reaction score
Guess I am lucky, 17 EL Limited and I get 13-14 MPG towing my 19 foot bass boat that weighs in around 3400-3500 pounds on the highway at 70 MPH

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guess I am lucky, 17 EL Limited and I get 13-14 MPG towing my 19 foot bass boat that weighs in around 3400-3500 pounds on the highway at 70 MPH
Your bass boat has a fair bit more "aerodynamics" than a box trailer.

Joedirtyshirt

Reaction score
Your not going to get much better than that on any gasoline powered vehicle, there are only so many B,T,U's in gasoline so if you want better fuel milage than that you need a diesel , then there are those trade off's

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just returned to Houston from Melbourne, FL. Averaged 9.6 mpg on 93 octane towing a 7,000 lb trailer, and four people. Best I've done. Usually closer to 8.5. I attribute it to low wind, drafting trucks, and moderate speeds. Trailer tires are ST, so most of the trip was around 65 and very flat.