MPG when towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got between 7 and 9mpg towing my rv from southern Idaho to Northern Idaho pan handle, lots of mountain climbing and hills. Did mostly 7 ish on the way up and managed 9 on the way back. Cruise set at 70, passing at 75 pretty often. My trailer is low profile and for this trip weighed less than 6k pounds. I'd like a slightly larger trailer and it sounds as though it won't impact my towing mpg once all that tin is in the wind, it's just wind resistance.

0621191517.jpg

fidget247

Reaction score
I tow both a 4k pound ski-boat and a Travel Trailer. I generally get 9-10 with the TT and between 10 and 11 with the boat. Compared to my old suburban, and even my diesel Excursion, these numbers seem favorable to me.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2014 5.4L towing a 3500 lb trailer in mountainous terrain...60 mph top speed...12 mpg over 1500 miles.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 30' camper is probably close to 7000 lbs fully loaded. I get about 9 mpg overall when pulling. Travelling west to Mt. Rushmore in 2017 it was 8 mpg due to mostly prevailing headwinds/hills across the plains. 9.5 mpg or so on the eastbound trip. 65 mph with some stretches at 70 or so. Draft a big semi for a bit and you can feel the decrease in wind resistance.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Towing a car on a trailer resulted in 12MPG on my 2017. My trailer is a BigTex (heavy steel ... diamond plate ect) and the car is a BMW 3 Series. The 2017 towes better then my 2014 but if you are not careful with the Ecoboost you can end up in the single digit area.

A flat trailer and a car are going to be more aerodynamic than the big slab front travel trailers.

MyExpedition2016

Reaction score
I just got back from a 4,000 mile round trip from MN to Grand Canyon, with stops along the way. Out I-70 through the Rockies, back I-80 through WY, SD. I had cruise control on for the duration and got 9.5mpg on average pulling 5,000lb TT. I cruised at 70mph when the speed limit was that or higher. I drive a 2017 extended. One thing I learned from renting the 2018-2019 expeditions watching the turbo is actually locking out gears gets better mpg (the 2018-19 have a turbo gauge). This turbo engine is incredible (both gen 1 in the '15-2017, and gen 2 in 18-19). For most of the time my '17 expy was happy pulling 70mph in 6th gear. What I found though is it winds the turbos more. I locked out 6th gear and it pulled in 5th all day and actually nets out better fuel economy because the turbos are not running as high as they would be in 6th gear. I tried premium fuel like others have suggested but really didn't see any change. The biggest change was locking out 6th gear.

It was by far the most enjoyable towing experience I've ever had. I love that Ford gives me the option to control my transmission gears, lock out gears when in automatic, shift myself in manual mode, and the tow/haul with the engine braking is wonderful. The only disappointment is that there is nothing, even the Rocky's that gave this Expedition a real test. It just cruised up everything like nothing was happening behind me.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got back from a 4,000 mile round trip from MN to Grand Canyon, with stops along the way. Out I-70 through the Rockies, back I-80 through WY, SD. I had cruise control on for the duration and got 9.5mpg on average pulling 5,000lb TT. I cruised at 70mph when the speed limit was that or higher. I drive a 2017 extended. One thing I learned from renting the 2018-2019 expeditions watching the turbo is actually locking out gears gets better mpg (the 2018-19 have a turbo gauge). This turbo engine is incredible (both gen 1 in the '15-2017, and gen 2 in 18-19). For most of the time my '17 expy was happy pulling 70mph in 6th gear. What I found though is it winds the turbos more. I locked out 6th gear and it pulled in 5th all day and actually nets out better fuel economy because the turbos are not running as high as they would be in 6th gear. I tried premium fuel like others have suggested but really didn't see any change. The biggest change was locking out 6th gear.

It was by far the most enjoyable towing experience I've ever had. I love that Ford gives me the option to control my transmission gears, lock out gears when in automatic, shift myself in manual mode, and the tow/haul with the engine braking is wonderful. The only disappointment is that there is nothing, even the Rocky's that gave this Expedition a real test. It just cruised up everything like nothing was happening behind me.

Every vehicle prior to the Expedition twin turbo v-6 with 6 speed transmission would downshift while towing up hills. I am amazed how the Expedition rarely downshifts. The Sequoia would drop 2 gears on some hills that the Expy stays in 6th for.

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Every vehicle prior to the Expedition twin turbo v-6 with 6 speed transmission would downshift while towing up hills. I am amazed how the Expedition rarely downshifts. The Sequoia would drop 2 gears on some hills that the Expy stays in 6th for.

I haven't towed with one, but what impresses me about the EcoBoost Expedition is that the power delivery feels like a diesel, lots of torque down low, so it doesn't have to downshift and run high RPMs whenever you want to accelerate..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett