My 99 Expy 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZShawn

Reaction score
Hi all, hope i'm not double-posting - don't think my first post ever showed up...

Anyway, I own a '99 Expy, 5.4l 4x4 here in Phx. I've used these forums countless times over the years, as I've made countless repairs in the ~9-10 years I've owned it. Recently made the decision to start putting some time/money into the truck to curb my desire to buy a new vehicle, so I decided it's time to join the site! The first big investment was new tires (pic below), love the look of the BFG's (but I cried when I saw the invoice lol). Just replaced the shift motor, fuel filter, fuel injectors, I did the plugs about a year ago along with front suspension (upper control arms, tierods, ball joints, swaybar links, front wheel hub/bearings). Just added a 6.0 cooler and changed the trans fluid/filter over the weekend.

There's dozens of other things within the last year or two I can't even keep track of: some vacuum lines, PCV, evap hoses, IAC valve, removed and cleaned throttle body, fixed ejected spark plugs (the CalVan 38900 is a good kit), etc.

The end goal is to have a rig i'm confident in taking on some AZ mountain trails or possibly out of state trips! Any tips, tricks, advice are welcome!
99Exped.jpg

TheFlyingFord

Reaction score
Perhaps consider getting some internally/externally mounted (or even just homemade) water jugs for offroading. The only time you have too much water is if you're drowning!

I always encourage folks to take along a small tool box with some general use tools. Stuff like duct tape, a wrench set, a can of WD-40, some pliers, etc. You might not ever need them, but if you do, you'll be glad you have 'em!

If you're going on very remote offroad trails, you might consider bringing some 7018 SMAW rods, a high lift jack, a radio, and some jumper cables. I wouldn't recommend going completely alone on remote trails, either. I've made that mistake before...

Oh, and a fire extinguisher! Make sure you've got one of those.

Not exactly mechanical upgrades, but just stuff to consider bringing :)

OP
OP
AZShawn

AZShawn

Reaction score
I'm a big believer in bringing tools along also, never know what might happen! I do need to look into a high lift jack though, and fire extinguisher.
Supplies are just as important as mechanical upgrades for sure.

Jim Brown

Reaction score
That's a good looking Expedition. Those tires are awesome. There are a few good deals for hi lifts on craigslist right now.

Last edited:

Jim Brown

Reaction score
Hey Shawn if you want to go off road around PHX let me know. I'm up for it just about any time. Next drive I want to do is Montana Mtn and Queen Creek Valley Rd out by Superior. Stopping by the miner's cabin mid way.

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Shawn if you want to go off road around PHX let me know. I'm up for it just about any time. Next drive I want to do is Montana Mtn and Queen Creek Valley Rd out by Superior. Stopping by the miner's cabin mid way.
Hate to invite myself,lol, but where do I show up for this?? Seriously though.... anyone up for an off-road meet of some sort in the cooler months??

OP
OP
AZShawn

AZShawn

Reaction score
Inspect your four rear trailing arms for rot your rig is at the age now.
Fortunately they're still in good shape

Jim, i'll definitely reach out to you at some point to make that happen! It might be later than sooner as I don't get too many days to myself, but I'll make it happen. I've lived in AZ all my life but never really done the offroad thing with the exception of driving around on some forest roads up on the Rim, so it would be nice to go along with someone who knows what they're doing lol!

Hate to invite myself,lol, but where do I show up for this?? Seriously though.... anyone up for an off-road meet of some sort in the cooler months??

Depending on time and place, I might be interested. Otherwise, I'll keep you in mind if Jim and I end up making a trip

Jim Brown

Reaction score
IMG_20200723_104027143_HDR.jpg I had to get mine out at Florence Box Canyon a couple weeks ago. I know, you're gonna ask where's the rock, like, how did you get stuck on that? It's kinda embarrassing, not even close to the biggest obstacle on the route, but I wasn't paying attention and ran aground exiting this rock slab. High centered the fuel tank skid plate while front and rear was in sand, losing traction... Yeah it was a noob way to get stuck but hilift saved the day :)