My 99 Expy 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim Brown

Reaction score
Hate to invite myself,lol, but where do I show up for this?? Seriously though.... anyone up for an off-road meet of some sort in the cooler months??
Craig, that sounds awesome we should do it. It would be interesting to see that fabtech lift in action.

TheFlyingFord

Reaction score
Are you holding those with a jumper cable or do you have a rod holder?

You clamp the jumper cables onto a pair of pliers or vice grips and use that as a rod holder. Gonna need two batteries to do this, too. Wouldn't hurt to bring some PPE also, so you don't get arc flashed and/or burnt while working.

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Craig, that sounds awesome we should do it. It would be interesting to see that fabtech lift in action.
I’m down to go, need to be later in the year, I need to re gear,new difs and new tires. I’ve never gone to anywhere in AZ, so that would be great. What is a good time of year to go out there(not too cold or hot)???

BOB4254

Reaction score
Nice looking truck.....I have a 98 Expedition with 125k....have a misfire issue on acceleration....no check engine light however when I increase and prolong the acceleration check engine light starts to flash.....when I back off check engine light stops flashing.......any ideas to fix this? appreciated.....thanks and good luck with your offroading.

2000 Expedition 3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
AZShawn

AZShawn

Reaction score
Nice looking truck.....I have a 98 Expedition with 125k....have a misfire issue on acceleration....no check engine light however when I increase and prolong the acceleration check engine light starts to flash.....when I back off check engine light stops flashing.......any ideas to fix this? appreciated.....thanks and good luck with your offroading.
Bob - If you get the flashing CEL, a code reader should pull a code even if the CEL isn't staying on the dash. If it tells you a specific cylinder misfire, there's a good chance it's the coil pack on that plug (COP). I'd start with swapping the COP and maybe the plug while you're in there.
If it's not a specific cylinder giving you trouble, the next place to check are vacuum lines which are a very common issue after they get old and crumble apart.

I've fixed several vacuum leaks in mine and feel like i'm still chasing one down. I still can't seem to find the one that causes my AC to start blowing out of my defrost vents every now and then. I've looked through the lines/box by the battery and passenger firewall and all look good. I've cracked open my electronic climate control unit and replaced the little O-rings in there, which made it better, but didn't completely stop it.

Jim Brown

Reaction score
What is a good time of year to go out there(not too cold or hot)???
Craig, any time Oct thru May is pretty good weather. There can be a few weeks of rain Jan Feb during which the desert gets pretty wet and muddy, ruts in washes get worse, narrow rocky switchbacks get a little hairy if the road gets slippery. Otherwise it's great weather and lots of awesome views and camping if you're into that.

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Craig, any time Oct thru May is pretty good weather. There can be a few weeks of rain Jan Feb during which the desert gets pretty wet and muddy, ruts in washes get worse, narrow rocky switchbacks get a little hairy if the road gets slippery. Otherwise it's great weather and lots of awesome views and camping if you're into that.
Definitely into that, we should definitely get that going, I’d probably do a roof tent for that.