My birds are chirping. Can I fix it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteveMax15

Reaction score
During a cold engine start the engine runs smooth. After approximately 3 seconds a solenoid clicks and a loud chirping noise emanates from the front or passenger side. I’m guessing the solenoid engages the AC pump and the sound is an idler pulley or another pulley on that assembly. The chirping gets worse with rpm.
I just replaced my own spark plugs and a faulty coil-over-plug. I’m mechanical but not a mechanic. Should I fix it or have it fixed ?

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your diagnosis sounds like it's on the right path, however there is only one belt that drives all the accessories. That would mean that if the noise only occurs when the a/c compressor is engaged then the problem is most likely the compressor itself.

The Chairman

Reaction score
There are a few idler pulleys and the bearings eventually wear out. Then they chirp as they wobble and contact something.
Recommend you buy a replacement set and a new belt. It’s an easy fix:
Loosen the belt tensioner, remove the belt, replace all the idler pulleys (one bolt each). Then route the new belt and move the tensioner to tighten the belt.
BTW: The tensioner itself has a pulley to be replaced as well.
BTW #2: On a Mustang I had, even the tensioner was worn enough to slightly misalign that caused a chirp. Eyeball the tensioner to make sure it’s properly aligned. If not, replace that too.

TDBDLB

Reaction score
Agree likely pulley/tensioners. Try spraying WD40 on each pulley or pump (safety glasses!) one at time to see if chirp silenced and replace bad part. Highly recommend replace all idler, tension pulleys and new belt.