My LGE-CTS/Baja Forged front bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fozzy

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Worked on the front bumper yesterday.

Pulled the lower valance off to expose the tow hook bolts and removed the sensors. I had already taken the lower air damn off and cut my fenders for tire clearance so it was pretty fast. It just pops off with a screwdriver or trim tool. The front license plate has a plastic push rivet that attaches to the upper trim. There are two sensors that have to be removed. Yes my Expy is extremely dirty.

IMG_1754.jpeg

IMG_1755.jpeg

OP
OP
Fozzy

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just for fun I installed the drop brackets that let you keep the sensors. You will loose 3" of ground clearance at the front diff. Not worth in in my opinion.

Rear drop bracket hangs way down. Factory skid plate is flush with crossmember.
IMG_1756.jpeg

The entire bumper hangs way to low to be useful. It would only be for looks installed like this. The soft aluminum spacers would be weak in a collision. But you do get to keep the sensors.
IMG_1758.jpeg

Without the trim installed at the lower setting for the sensors.
IMG_1757.jpeg

Side shot. I have already cut over an inch to clear my tires and screwed the carpet back. Looks like the bumper will be about where I have trimmed the fender.
IMG_1759.jpeg

OP
OP
Fozzy

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now for the part that totally sucked. The instruction said there was an included cut template. I did not get it and they emailed me the instructions again and it did not have it.I measured up 2.5" from the bumper at the lower height and marked it out.

I cut it on top of the blue tape and it ended up needing to be trimmed another half inch. I cut it one inch and took a little too much. I used my multi tool with a dry wall blade on the slowest vibration setting. It had no problem cutting it, I just had a problem. keeping is straight. It was better than using the angle grinder IMO.
IMG_1761.jpeg

Without the template I decided it would be better to cut just to the frame rails and leave the rest intact in hopes to keep the front piece from being to floppy like the lower piece was after I took off the air dam.
IMG_1762.jpeg

OP
OP
Fozzy

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the bumper in its normal location I had to cut the bottom and sides of the frame horn to clear the inside tubing on both sides.

This picture is from the bottom looking up. The nut is to the rear of the truck. Cleaned it up and put some POR15 on it.
IMG_1766.jpeg

OP
OP
Fozzy

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The instructions tell you to remove the little skid plate that protects a couple of wires. It never tells you to put it back on. The bumper does not have a hole in it to let the skid plate go back on. I was worried about these wires and cut the tab off the skid plate and put it back on.

IMG_1767.jpeg

The skid plate protects these wires. Looks really easy to tear them out. The original LGE-CTS build was a two wheel drive model and did not have the front diff.
IMG_1765.jpeg

IMG_1763.jpeg

IMG_1764.jpeg

OP
OP
Fozzy

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It looks like you will have to take the skid plate off to get to the oil filter. It's going in for service next week. We will see if the tech's complain.

IMG_1768.jpeg

OP
OP
Fozzy

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The bumper is very solid and strong. You still keep the factory crash bar but this will add some good crash protection and coverage for the radiator and CAC. I have taken it on the freeway up to 90 MPH. I could not detect any new air or road noise. It will be interesting if this affects my MPG or engine/trans temps. I does warn you of a "Parking Aid Fault" every time you turn it on and flashes a picture of the Expy with a warning sign on the 8" screen every so often. I have all six sensors disconnected. The active cruise control still works and so does the BLIS. I plan on 3D printing new mounts for the sensors. From what I have looked at I will need two different designs and maybe even an external mounted one. I just need to get my calipers and fusion dusted off and start prototyping brackets.

my quick take of pro's on con's

Pro's

Well built
relatively inexpensive
nice fit and finish
No need to relocate CAC, or radar sensor
keeps factory appearance
Add's protection to the front end
Two mounting options
Added approach angle

Con's

Poor instructions
Powder coating looks good but thin
Lose sensors in normal positon
Lose ground clearance to keep sensors
Weak mounting option in lower position
Keeps factory appearance.
Have to cut frame horn
have to cut plastic just right to make it fit and look good

I hope this helps someone thinking about this bumper. LGE-CTS/Baja Forged where very slow to get this to me. Six months to be exact, but with the CV-19 hangover it has been this way for all kinds of products. LGE-CTS/Baja Forged have been very good to work with and the quality is outstanding. I would recommend it for a little added protection in a stealth looking package. I also have a F-150 bumper I may install in the future, but will have got cut the entire front end off. Once I get the sensors on this could be traded in or sold and no one would know the better.