Mysterious transmission issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattyG307

Reaction score
Last year I purchased a 2017 Ford Expedition Limited EL. I purchased the vehicle with 138,000 miles on it. We drove the vehicle across the country last summer with absolutely no issues.

Fast forward to three days ago when I was driving and the transmission seemed to suddenly disengage. The rpms were bouncing around and the yellow wrench came on and told me to see manual. I coasted off the road, put it in park and turned off the vehicle. When I stated it back up, there was no issue and no code. I took it to my mechanic and there was no recorded history of a code generated. I only have about 2,000 miles left on my warranty. Should I be worried?

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did your engine rev up real high, or did it go straight to idle speed?

Dave-S

Reaction score
Take it to the dealership immediately. There was an issue with the lead frame in the transmissions. It cost me $11-1200 to fix out of pocket because I missed the recall. Have Ford do the work and foot the bill.

Steve Beckman

Reaction score
That also sounds similar to my experience with a bad throttle body. In that experience, I had loss of power, wrench light, and then no code saved after restarting. When it was happening, I drove with my scanner connected and got P2112 indicating the TB was stuck closed. You may want to double-check that for a lower-cost repair.

Getsome

Reaction score
I had the exact same issue on my 2017 EL Limited with 130k
It was a bad coil-pack.
I replaced all six and installed new plugs.
2 months later I had a throttle body code and installed a new unit and everything is fine.

DRU84

Reaction score
Dealer Immediately! Similar issue seemed like learning transmission -- they reset chip -- then seemed Ok -- then complete failure (high rev, but no engagement of gears, had to limp home manually shifting after vehicle stopped in middle of road about 3rd to 4th gear -- also powertrain failure light). Warranty repair -- rebuilt transmission essentially. Took about two weeks.

69Rustang

Reaction score
We had a 2012 that did something similar. Bought it new. With about 300 miles on the odometer, my wife stopped at an intersection, when the light changed she let off the brake and pushed the gas. The Expy went about 10 feet, then acted like it was in neutral. Coasted to a stop, put into park, then back into gear and good to go for a while. Same event occurred many times. Sometimes it was at freeway speeds and it just went into neutral, then WHAM, back into gear. The engine would free rev the whole time as much as you wanted. This went on for about a year with varying other experiences like that. Ford dealers could not replicate and Ford Motor Co denied any responsibility. We won the Lemon Law suit though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker