Need 2nd key made

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok...called and total cost will be around $100 for price of key and to program...YES!!!

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the dealership

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

cbrown9064

Reaction score
I reporgrammed my remote keyfobs tonight, and ran across the procedure in the owners manual for reprogramming the keys. My manual is a 2006, so your mileage may vary...here is what it said.

Programming spare keys

A maximum of eight keys can be coded to your vehicle. Only SecuriLock keys can be used. To program a coded key yourself, you will need two previously programmed coded keys (keys that already operate your vehicles engine) and the new unprogrammed key(s) readily accessible for timely implementation of each step in the prodcedure.

If two previously programmed coded keys are not available, you must bring your vehicle to your authorized dealer to have the spare coded key(s) programmed.

Please read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.

1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition and turn the ignition the 1 (OFF/LOCK) to the 3 (ON) postion [maintain the ignition in 3(ON) for at least three seconds, but no more than ten seconds].

2. Turn ignition from 3 (ON) back to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position in order to remove the first coded key from the ignition.

3. Within ten seconds of removing the first coded key, insert the second previously programmed coded key into the ignition and turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) to the 3 (ON) position [maintain ignition in 3 (ON) for at least 3 seconds but no more than ten seconds].

4. Turn the ignition from the 3 (ON) back to 1 (OFF/LOCK) position in order to remove the seconded coded key from the ignition.

5. Within 10 seconds of removing the second coded key insert the new unprogrammed key (new key/valet key) into the ignition and turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) to the 3 (ON) position [maintain the ignition in 3 (ON) for at least three seconds, but no more than ten seconds]. This step will program your new key to a coded key.

6. To program additional new unprogrammed key(s) repeat the procedure from step 1.

If unsuccessful, the new coded key(s) will not start your vehicle's engine and the theft indicator will flash on and off and you may repeat Steps 1 through 5. If failure repeats bring your vehicle to your authorized dealer to have the new spare key(s) programmed.

So, from what this says, if you have two working, coded, keys, they you can code more yourself. If you don't, then you need to see the dealer.

Chris

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually you need two keys to make another key for security reasons. Otherwise some one could borrow your key and make a clone really easily and jack your car on any day with ease. I plan on getting another key just in case i lose the original or if i get that remote start. Tell us how that viper system works. I have heard mixed feelings about aftermarket remote start.

cobrachrisl

Reaction score
i work for automotive locksmith and program chip keys every day if you only have one key you will need to have someone hook up a t code computer to you car to program another key we charge 75 for the first and 35 once you have 2 keys.. i would call your local locksmiths and get prices i always recommend having 3 keys so if you lose one you can easy program a cut chip key just cycle both keys to run for 5 secs and then do the same with the new one .. i wouldn't recommend hardware stores or lowes that will just make a clone of your transponder key and you will not be able to on board programing

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Ihave three keys. two ford keys that stay home one non ford that i use everyday so if i lose the key i make a copy no hassel