Need opinion on buying Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would steer clear of it. Ford's infinite wisdom placed the TCM inside the transmission - to be cooled with hot trans fluid. When that bad boy fails it is $750 and up for the part, labor and programing is extra. Failure interval is slightly over 105,000 miles according to various forums/threads. Do your research before pulling the trigger.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not "normal" so my thinking isn't "normal", I always look at the dealer trade in value of a vehicle to give me the true value of the car. The difference between that and the asking price is their profit - usually in the thousands. Would you pay 3-4000 for basically a detail job?

To answer your question on how long the engines last - it all depends on the past maintenance it has had. Dealers clean everything up so you don't see the condition when they received it. With a good maintenance program with quality products that mileage is on the tail end of life. I would expect some major work before 300,000 - 350,000 miles.

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its not a matter of being considered crazy.

You are crazy for even asking a question like that.

Doesn't matter what others may think you will end up doing what you want to do.

I also agree with the three previous post.

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ive seen 2005 expeditions with near or over 200,000 miles for $4000 or around there.most are more. people ask to much....ill stick with my 97 169,000 miles. those trucks.....you need to get from owners,not dealer. check the prefix on title and see how many previos owners. see you gotta know what to look for in fords.....

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pass.

Extend your search net if you need to. Denver is about a 7 hour drive from Omaha. Lots of rust free examples out here.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to Kelly Blue Book, dealer trade-in is $3294 - $5411. Private party is $6212 for the "good" group of vehicles which is around 54% of them.

0xowner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can find better deals out there with lower miles. Those buy here pay here places get that higher dollar as they finance folks. I always feel heading south, even down to Texas or Oklahoma, you can find something good.

Trina

Reaction score
I would steer clear of it. Ford's infinite wisdom placed the TCM inside the transmission - to be cooled with hot trans fluid. When that bad boy fails it is $750 and up for the part, labor and programing is extra. Failure interval is slightly over 105,000 miles according to various forums/threads. Do your research before pulling the trigger.