Need opinions on 2014 and 2015

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone, I'm currently looking at selling my 07 expy, good suv but I want something newer now. I have been looking at a 2014 with the 5.4 and a 2015 with the ecoboost. They are both xlt and both have around 100,000 miles. I just want all of your opinions if you've had these, good or bad, so I can make an educated buy. I love expeditions and I definitely want to keep buying them and I have the chance to jump on something newer. Thank you for any info you have.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought a 2013 XLT so that I could avoid the ecoboost. So far very pleased. Have not driven more than a few hundred miles. If you have an 07 then much will be familiar to you. I remain concerned about the 3V engine (My other expy is a 4.6L 2V) and potential valve train issues. I did buy an extended unlimited miles warranty that covers such things. You should listen to the valve train for odd noises if any.

One thing that does bug me is that the door glass seems to be very soft soda glass and has vertical scratches from the mechanism.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both engines have very similar issues, all timing chain related. Gen 1 EB are prone to stretch the chain and 5.4 are prone to blowing out the chain tensioners. To be honest with you looking back…..I might have even better off with the EcoBoost in that last Expy. My first 5.4 was great, no issues. My second was a nightmare. The EcoBoost will give a little warning when the chain goes. The 5.4 as soon as you start hearing cold start clacking needs to be fixed before it snowballs.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2014 with almost 100k on it, I've had it since new. Almost zero problems and it just turned 10 the other day. Only issue I've had is the rear heat actuator motor, I have still been too lazy to replace it. I will keep this to the bitter end just because it's the last 5.4 year, I'm nostalgic like that. I know all the issues the 5.4 can have, and the same for the '15 Ecoboosts. I don't know that either one is any better in that regard. I think a lot (but not all) of it comes down to how it was maintained. If you can find one or other with a solid maintenance history, that's what would decide it for me.

One thing that does bug me is that the door glass seems to be very soft soda glass and has vertical scratches from the mechanism.
Every third gen Expedition I've seen has this same issue, including the two I've owned. Very aggravating.

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2014 EL LTD with 106K on it now. I bought it in 2019 with 80K, had a 5 year Ford extended warranty, and all is good. Under warranty, I had a few things done, like both front hubs, a couple window motors, and some misc stuff. I pretty much broke even on the extended, but peace of mind was great. Lots of electronic stuff in this rig.
I did the same as JJ...I wanted the most recent low mileage 5.4 I could find. All is good and I'm very happy with it...

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We currently have both a 2011 (similar to 2014) and 2017 (similar to 2015). We also had a 2014 for 3 years.

The 2010 through 2014 are 5.4L 3 Valve V8s, with the 6 speed transmission and the Gen3A style dash and electronics. They are very good vehicles provided they are properly maintained and good for both around town and long trips hauling lots of people / gear. They are OK for towing depending on what you are pulling, I would not look to pull loads over 6500. With the 2011-2014 You can expect 12-13 mpg around town and 17-18 on the highway. Towing mileage would be 8-10.

The 2015 through 2017 are 3.5L twin turbo V6s, also with the 6 speed transmission but with the newer Gen3B dash and electronics including Sync 3 with somewhat larger screen. The 2015-2017 has a different front suspension system that I feel is not as good as that installed in the 2010-2014 and does not ride as well. It also has electric power steering assist in place of the engine driven assist on the earlier models. This provides a much higher level of assist at all vehicle speeds, which is great around town and in tight spaces, but not as good as the earlier models at highway speeds, especially when towing. You can expect 15-16mpg around town and 20-22 on the highway with the 3.5V6. Our towing mileage is 12-13 pulling an open car trailer with 6500lb total weight.

Our 2017 is a better long trip / towing vehicle and we don't tow with the 2011 any longer, but we use it as our around town / daily driver / shorter trips 6 to 7 months a year and it is a still great truck.

Both Gen 3A and 3B trucks suffer from valve train and VVT issues, which may be less problematic with well maintained vehicles.

Gen 3A trucks all have issues with HVAC blend door actuator failures. I have replaced all 5 on my 2011.
Gen 3B trucks probably have the same blend door actuator failures, but I have yet to experience any with our 2017. Knock on wood

The Gen 3B trucks have HVAC blower motor and power brake booster recalls and the electronic throttle bodies failures.

I can't speak to any issues that the 2015 had which were corrected with the 2017 model.

Last edited:

tacoduck

Reaction score
Ha. Do a zero to 60 in both the 5.4 and the 3.5. Then do a 50-80 acceleration on the freeway. IMO the 3.5 torque on demand is worth the premium. It’s fantastic. The upgraded Nav, upgraded front end are all positives. I really like everything about the 3.5 other than the exhaust note.

Pilgrim

Reaction score
We have a 2008 (300,000miles) and a 2015 (140,000 miles). 2008 has had shocks, brakes, rear wheel bearings, front ball joints, spark plugs, and a LOT of oil changes. Still runs perfect, but is getting rusted inside the rear doors. 2015 has had several CE light occurrences... throttle body, heater fan, temp and O2 sensors, AC compressor. Drives fantastic with the extra power, but is also showing slight signs of rust in the same spots. Likely will be rusted out sooner.
Both of them would rank in the top vehicles I've ever had, and I've had lots and ran them to high miles.

Randy Bassett

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone, I'm currently looking at selling my 07 expy, good suv but I want something newer now. I have been looking at a 2014 with the 5.4 and a 2015 with the ecoboost. They are both xlt and both have around 100,000 miles. I just want all of your opinions if you've had these, good or bad, so I can make an educated buy. I love expeditions and I definitely want to keep buying them and I have the chance to jump on something newer. Thank you for any info you have.
I have a 2015 with Ecoboost. Bought it from Enterprise with 27,000 mi., currently at 97000 mi. Had to replace one cat converter, aftermarket didn't work, OEM did. Otherwise, no problems. Mechanic told me to check oil often. I change every 5000, but it burns some in between. Mechanic said turbos are very sensitive to oil shortage, keep it topped up, don't wait for it to get a quart low before adding.

muskytom

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as a couple others here that I purposely bought the 2013 to avoid the EcoBoost. Used at 90k and in great shape with the exception of the rockers due to stuck running boards holding the snow in year-after-year. Other than that, blew power steering hoses. Previously had 2002 EB (heat went out at 200k and traded in for the 2013) and 1999 EB (near mint and sadly, rear-ended). Perhaps I'm a purist and KISS, plus love my V-8's and this is sadly one of the last for us.

As with all my vehicles, I care for them and thus ride them until it's time. FordTechMakuloco has some great gospel to share on care and feeding, and yet to steer me wrong. And as others have mentioned, listen to the motor for the tell-tale signs with the valve train. To quote one of the other's here, "I will keep this to the bitter end just because it's the last 5.4 year .... (well, almost with the 2013)."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett