need some help...BAD!!! Grinding noise in front end!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phoenix101703

Reaction score
Ok so, I'm on a road trip from OR to So. Cal and 3 seperate times on the way down I got what sounds like some serious grinding/rattling noise coming from what I "think" is the front-driver side wheel area.

It almost sounds like there is a rock stuck in my between my rotor and caliper. However, I stopped at a Les Schwab and they took off eveything in the front and inspected the wheels, brakes, etc and found NOTHING wrong. The problem is this noise seems to come out of nowhere. But when it does come it sounds like my front wheels are going to come off.
\
Could this be the differential or the transfer case? Lemme tell you I have no idea what either of those are....i'm not mechanically inclinded.

please help!!!! i need to get home safe....

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...The problem is this noise seems to come out of nowhere. But when it does come it sounds like my front wheels are going to come off.
\
Could this be the differential or the transfer case? Lemme tell you I have no idea what either of those are....i'm not mechanically inclinded.

please help!!!! i need to get home safe....
phoenix101703,
Have you considered setting up an appointment with a Ford dealer? I’m unsure how much I can help, but I’d like to do everything I can to assist. So I can do that, please send me a private message with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and dealer info.

Cory

OP
OP
phoenix101703

phoenix101703

Reaction score
Im not real comfortable giving out all that kind of info online. Do you have any clue as to what the grinding noise might be? At this point I'm just curious....I don't need an appt.

OP
OP
phoenix101703

phoenix101703

Reaction score
Grinding noise coming from under the front of my car

I would like to add to my previous post that last night while driving we experienced the grinding noise again and I switched the drive selector switch from 2WD to A2WD and the noise went away. Could this be a clue as to where the problem lies?

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats hard to say what is wrong but grinding I would say is usually related to a wheel bearing... but a lot more members are on our other site... link under my pic... soon we should have both sites here

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah sounds like wheel bearing/ well hub bearing assembly... either way by putting in into A4WD you loaded the axel which changed the load on the bearing... need to get it in soon

OP
OP
phoenix101703

phoenix101703

Reaction score
thanks for the help. What would heve made the noise go away by switching from 2WD to A4WD you think? I went to les schwab and they took everything apart on the front end and looked at all of it and said everything (including bearings) seemed to be intact and functioning properly. I was told by them that it could be the Transfer case. Does this sound like a possibility considering what I said before about switching from 2WD to A4WD?

Thanks again