Need tires: Are theses ok to put on the tow vehicle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tomurphjr

Reaction score
I'm researching, but I'm still a little confused at what will work.

Plan on buying a smallish travel trailer (3500lbs) for my wife and I. She needs new tires for her Expedition and I want to make sure I get the correct tires.

Maybe I'm over thinking this and any tire will work, but wanted to make sure.

I'm on Walmart's website looking at tires and they all are load rated the same (Load Index: 117 (2833 lbs.) She has the 20" wheel option 275/55/20 on her Expediton and she does not have the HD tow package (limits us to 6000lbs).

Since they "All" have Load Index: 117 (2833 lbs.) will any tire work? I understand P rated, E rated, etc, but since we will not be going with anything very heavy, anyone of the below will work, right?

Walmart.com: Auto & Tires: Tires Result Shelf

Thanks in advance!

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im gonna say this much, i work in a tire shop I see alot of people use nexieum and kuhomo I wont put those tires on a truck like the expedition specially if your gonna tow. there not as strong as tires such as goodyear or BFG. I would go with the Goodyear Wrangler tires, silent armors are good tires. Also i would not have walmart intstall you tires, I had a customer come in complaining they heard a thumping from their brand new tire they just got at walmart, I took a PLIER out of his tire, it was left inside and mounted on the rim.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW, I had Wranglers on my Mountaineer and they sucked in the rain. At first I thought my wife was being a little dramatic about them breaking loose. But after I ended up drifting the truck around an interchange I found out she was right. Even my buddy that's been doing tires for about 20 years doesn't like Wranglers. I will never run another set on anything I own.

Just my 2 cents.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replaced the original Wranglers @ 75000 miles and have had Michelin's since then.
You might want to adjust tire pressure for whatever brand you decide on when towing according to your trailering literature/guide.

mazdaparts

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm running Nexen Roadian AT2 6ply on my rig. NEXEN Performance Tires I really like them, they did very well this winter and have very good road manners as well.

I've been selling Nexen tires for about 3 years now and we have not had one tire issue due to defect. They are very affordable as well.

OP
OP
T

Tomurphjr

Reaction score
I'm running Nexen Roadian AT2 6ply on my rig. NEXEN Performance Tires I really like them, they did very well this winter and have very good road manners as well.

I've been selling Nexen tires for about 3 years now and we have not had one tire issue due to defect. They are very affordable as well.

Thanks for the info on the tires. Researching online had the same review as yours. I was all set to order a set, but desided to call walmart first to see about changing the tpms sensors and was told they dont install tires on vehicles equiped with tpms sensors.

They've got to be losing business because any vehicle made after 2006 are required to have tpms per the government.

whowey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW, I had Wranglers on my Mountaineer and they sucked in the rain. At first I thought my wife was being a little dramatic about them breaking loose. But after I ended up drifting the truck around an interchange I found out she was right. Even my buddy that's been doing tires for about 20 years doesn't like Wranglers. I will never run another set on anything I own.

Just my 2 cents.

I had the same experience... really good tire when new... a little worn and they are scary as heck.

06KR

Reaction score
I'm sure you have already made a tire decision at this point, however four of my past vehicles have run BFGs. Highly recommend, especially all terrains. Currently I have 285/70-17 on my F150 that I removed from my old expedition. They have 30,000 miles on them and still show great tread, no dry rot, or separation. That truck was 100% hardcore in the snow and dirt with them babies on there. I have worked at Discount Tire and a local place in my younger years. Safety is a huge issues when it comes to tires like torquing lug nuts and such. Keep that in mind when dealing with tire places. Wal mart is good for some things but.......