New Alternator and still having trouble starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Expedition 5.4 Liter. Had the truck out cleaning it. Let windows open and hatch open. It would not start when done. had to jump it off. Went to parts store thinking it was the 6 month old battery. Battery tested good but showed a diode failure on alternator. Replaced alternator and worked fine the next day. Got ready to leave for work today and would not start. Just click. Put charger on it at 50 amps for quick start and after a few minutes fired right up. Drove to work and it ran about 30 minutes before shut it off. Leave work and just clicking. Had to jump off again. Now on the charger on trickle. Any ideas?

thanks

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the wires, battery and ground clamps? Welcome here, by the way.

If they check out, you'll have to see if a load is draining the battery when parked. The rear wipers are a common problem if they seize and fail to park. Then they keep trying and drain the battery.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
yeah TM I checked it all. All the battery cables and clamps are in perfect shape. Ground is solid and tight. Rear wiper is parked and not running ( I replaced the motor a few months ago). I really think now the alternator going bad cooked the battery. Anyway its at the parts store getting checked

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Dropped battery off for testing. Got home and they called me back. The battery was toast. "Cooking off gas and making the place stink". So new battery and all seems fine..

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dropped battery off for testing. Got home and they called me back. The battery was toast. "Cooking off gas and making the place stink". So new battery and all seems fine..
Glad to hear that's all it was.

P.S. I'm heading up to Chattanooga here in a couple weeks for my nieces birthday. Beautiful town and a nice drive from middle TN.