New Brake Pad Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Well, i have had the new style brake pads on for a week now, and i have done 500 miles of driving without a wash, and the rims still look fairly clean! In fact, there is very little dust buildup, and what is there looks more gray in color than black.

jjgi5150

Reaction score
Hi,

Glad to hear that the new pads are working better...Our new '04 XLT Sport had 68 miles on the clock..of very easy around town driving, and the front wheels were totally covered in the ugly black dust!

I guess FORD has decided not to upgrade newer units with the new pads....I have a bad feeling that I will have to be fighting with FORD about this....I am NO WAY going to keep washing the vehicle all the time just because of the front pads...and there is NO WAY we should have to pay for the new style brake pad upgrade....

JJ

OP
OP
G

yea i know what you mean. I made a big stink about having to pay at my dealership (where i used to work for 9 years, and i have bought 11 new vehicles from there), and they put them on for me without charge, but i still am pretty sure it wasnt warrantied, i think they paid for them.

But they are a lot better as far as the dust goes.

OP
OP
G

Kidtriton, your last statement is probally right. The dealership ate them because of your long standing relationship.

I'll just about guarantee you Ford will not replace under warranty. Its cosmetic. Sorry, but thats the way they're gonna see it. I agree that Ford should do something with this, but look at it from there perspective. The brakes work.

jjgi5150 go back to the dealer where you bought it and explain your dissatisfaction with the vehicle. IF you have a long time relationship, maybe you can get something done. If they won't straight out replace them, make a comprimise. Tell them you'll pay for the labor if they pay for the pads or vice versa. I did that with an interior panel that needed replaced on one I bought used out of warranty. I bought, they painted and installed it.

LOL!

jjgi5150

Reaction score
prcr...et al....

This is my first purchase at this dealer...but they do seem to be somewhat workable about other matters...They installed an aftermarket alarm system on to the factory security system, and a few days after they did so, they fired the company that did the install. All this happened a few days before I bought the vehicle...and therefore, I did not get a manual with the alarm system.

When I complained about that, they just issued me a due bill for a new alarm system with the current company they are using. That alarm supposedly has even more features...and they're going to cover all the costs...no bad attitude or anything...I'm impressed so far.

As to the brakes, I will drive it for another 50 or so miles, and then go in and complain about the brake dust...I'll show them the TSB and pressure them to do a changeover...I'll keep everyone posted..

BTW, did anyone else do a disconnect on the world's worst seat belt reminder buzzer? I had finally had as much as I could stand, and I unplugged the socket under the driver's seat. Bliss!!!... now no ugly noise when I want to move the vehicle around in the drive, etc...

Take care,

JJ

Attachments

• image0003.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,589
OP
OP
G

Sounds like you have a great dealership! LOL on the brakes.

BTW, disconnecting the seat belt wire, did the air bag lite come one. I tried that in my work f350 and the light stayed on.

GREAT LOOKING RIG.:p

jjgi5150

Reaction score
Uh Oh!!!

Good call prcr,

I hadn't checked that till you said something...I was so glad to not hear the awful buzzer, I did not notice the airbag light..It was on, so I have now re-plugged the seat belt plug sensor 'till I make a circuit closer for that loose end.

When the seatbelt snaps into place, it closes the loop for the two wires, showing the belt is connected. I'll just by-pass that with a closed loop of wire and that should take care of it.

My Dodge truck web site has really great technical section for just this kind of stuff. I'm going to do some research and see if I can locate some good Ford "tech tips" like this....

Thanks for the let on this one...

JJ

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I havnt read much lately. But, what TSB reffers to the breaks? I need them replaced now.

daveplot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by jt
I havnt read much lately. But, what TSB reffers to the breaks? I need them replaced now.

Article No. 04-1-1
BRAKES-BRAKE DUST-REVISED BRAKE
LININGS-VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO 12/18/2003

ISSUE
Customer dissatisfaction with brake dust level on vehicles produced before 12/18/2003.

The brake linings on 2003-2004 Expedition/Navigator vehicles are designed to interact with the brake rotors in such a way as to keep the rotors smooth, minimizing rotor runout and thickness variation. The brake dust that is generated as a result of this interaction does not indicate a performance concern with the vehicle's brake system, and is considered a normal condition by Ford Motor Company.

Ford Motor Company recognizes, however, that some customers may object to brake dust for appearance reasons. Effective 12/18/03, the brake linings on Expedition/Navigator have been revised. The revised linings will generate less dust. The revised linings are also being made available for service, as Service Kit 41-1Z-2001-BA. This kit contains BOTH front and rear linings. A coordinated front and rear lining change is required in order to avoid making the vehicle noncompliant with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 135. Do not mix the parts in the 41-1 Z-2001-BA kit with any other brake linings.

Per the Warranty and Policy Manual, parts and labor needed to maintain the vehicle due to normal wear and tear are the responsibility of the vehicle owner, and are not covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Because brake dust is due to normal wear and tear, replacing brake linings for a dust condition is not covered under bumper-to-bumper coverage.

OP
OP
G

jj,

look in the owners manual, there is a sequence of turning the key on/off and undoing the seatbelt that will get rid of the reminder. Its kind of hard to follow and get right, but it does work.