New Expedition Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mtsumedi

Reaction score
Well, I noticed the other morning that the heat in the front wasn't very good and the back heat was non existent. I did some research and poked around and noticed where someone had cut the heater hoses going to the back and then pieced them back together with a fitting and hose clamps. I noticed that the water pump appeared to be original so I assumed the impeller had been eaten up and that was the cause of the issue. I bought a new thermostat, water pump, etc and went to work. I pulled the old pump out and it looked fine s I started flushing everything with the water hose.

The hoses to the back wouldn't let me push any water through whatsoever. At that point I started pulling the back plastic out so I could get to the rear HVAC unit. I pulled the hoses off and couldn't push water or compressed air back through. There was a lot of rust that was back feeding so I assumed it was clogged with rust. I went back to the front and kept trying to blow through and noticed the quick connects. I pulled the hoses off and was able to flow water through both of the lines. I hooked them back up to the core and flushed it both ways.

Someone had shoved round head bolts into the hoses at the spot where they had cut them to block coolant from going to the rear. My assumption was either a leaking core or blend door stuck in heat mode and they couldn't get rear AC so they blocked it off. Neither was the case. It appears that they blocked the rear heat off for no reason.

I filled it up with water and flush and will do antifreeze tomorrow after draining the flush out. Heat seems to be working good now.

OP
OP
M

mtsumedi

Reaction score
Oh yeah, that clutch fan won't make its way back on there. This thing is getting a Taurus efan.