New head unit install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TC16XLT

Reaction score
Ok, I went through this, you’re not alone in your frustration [emoji23]

I broke down, purchased these two (links below), a great 5 channel amp, replaced the factory sub in enclosure, all of my speakers ( Kx series Kickers are awesome), spent 3 days, on and off, removing every bit of audio in my ‘16, and finally rewiring all of it. Both of these links will save you an unimaginable amount of time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D9W3CHY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_tl7tFb20QQFYH

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QU1JIE2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Sp7tFbMZ871YD

If I have to keep the crap 4” screen, all I want is the signal. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go to www.crutchfirled.com and "outfit your car" it will show you everything on the market today and they offer lifetime help...they also offer all the harnesses needed to keep steering wheels controls and to hookup the hu

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
off topic...

I started with crutchfield and only accidentally discovered that many new head units include a disable feature. apparently, you have to stop the car, put the parking brake on, and trans in park to do anything more than change the station. maybe even put it in the garage, remove the keys and lock all the doors.
there are aftermarket disabler disablers, but I'd really hate to do that.

is anyone aware of any actual car radios that let you control your radio while driving?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes...u have to either do a wire bypass or code sequence bypass on the unit...i had pioneer avic-d3 that I had done the wire bypass which was grounding the parking break wire...i now have a pioneer 8200NEX and all I have to do to enable the feature to watch movies while driving is press and bottom right corner... all found on YouTube

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes...u have to either do a wire bypass or code sequence bypass on the unit...i had pioneer avic-d3 that I had done the wire bypass which was grounding the parking break wire...i now have a pioneer 8200NEX and all I have to do to enable the feature to watch movies while driving is press and bottom right corner... all found on YouTube

thanks for your fast response.
however, I'm sorry, I should have been more clear: by " aftermarket disabler disablers..." I include any and all wire bypass. I am looking for a radio that does not include that feature to begin with.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put a Kenwood in my son's truck and just grounded the ebrake wire to the back of the radio. Not sure if others are the same ease,

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no way to know or not know in advance... get something without a screen... it's not published in their stuff if it can or can't be bypassed or not...

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's no way to know or not know in advance... get something without a screen... it's not published in their stuff if it can or can't be bypassed or not...

unless you're buying "made in screwistan" junk, you can know that in advance. The manual will specify that somewhere. It can be hard to find, but it will in be in there. that's what I meant when I said I found out by "accident" - i was reading the online manual when i found it.
the "accident" was that I decided to peruse the entire online manual before I pulled the trigger on the purchase.