New headlight bulb recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nobycane74

Reaction score
I have had new Lightning style headlight assemblies for a couple years now, and replaced the bulbs with some whiter bulbs...but apparently these kind of suck, as the hi-beams do not illuminate well, and they are not as bright as I want them to be. I have to have a pretty illuminated view at night to see things as I drive, as I am not a regular night driver...I want to see well and far as I live in a bit rural area where street lights are not that common, but not wanting to totally blind on coming traffic.

Can anyone recommend some good replacement daylight/bright white bulbs for lo-hi beam ... for night driving ?

Thanks in advance.

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would recommend HID's but you will have to adjust them to make it so they dont blind others you will be extremely satisfied with them. if you want even better, install projectors along with hids. Been running HIDs for over 6yrs now and never had a problem. LEDs are getting better and cheaper and I will be switching to those soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

D

doodlebugs-93

I'm using the Sylvania 9007 Silver Star Ultra good output, I like the output at night they're bright
but not bright enough to blind the oncoming traffic, and I can even see Bambi'smom and dad those
pesky deer like to jump out in front of me overall I'm quite pleased with them I'm looking into
replacing the factory fog lights with the Sylvania Silver star 9145 bulbs

OP
OP
nobycane74

nobycane74

Reaction score
Thanks to all....have any of you all had any issues with said recommended bulbs? How are they with the lo-hi beam switch between?

Joseph Burgess

Reaction score
Have ran HIDs in all my vehicles , plug and play easy to add to the expedition, I’m running 6k HIDs in both headlights and fogs

grantpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to be such a clueless moron but what does "HID" stand for and what are the part #'s for Expedition's? Also, how much brighter are they vs factory bulbs? I know that the answer is rather objective, but for poop and laughter's sake, HOW much brighter are we talking-night and day, or just a bit more, or significantly brighter? Again, I apologize for the elementary nature of my questions. Thanks.

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
HID Stands for high intensity discharge.
And the difference to me is night and day. The components consist of the bulb and the ballast and a harness to connect it all to your stock headlight wiring There are no set part numbers for a Ford Expedition or any vehicle. what determines your application is what kind of bulb the headlights use. For Fords Expedituons and most Ford pickups it's a 9007 bulb. Also you want a nice white light not blue so pick a bulb anywhere from 4000K to 6000k ideally 5000k produces a nice white light. Halogen bulbs put off a yellow light and as the name suggests High intensity is the kind of light you get with an HID set up

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also a lot of people give hids a lot of crap because they say they blind other drivers and ther not safe well if they are adjusted properly there shouldn't be a problem

Shabadoo

Reaction score
Just be careful with the HID's. In some states (VA I'm pretty sure), it's illegal to put an HID bulb in an enclosure not built for it due to the aforementioned blinding

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nobody is gonna know unless you've got some sort of annual inspection there and even then the only thing that gives it away is if you can see the balasts. To me its safer if I can see at might