New Member - Lifting my 2000 Expy - Hunting Lease

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Because it is a 2000 Expy, it is AWD. All 99+ trucks went to AWD and as I recall there are no 2wd versions out there. So, that means the truck has to be AWD, therefore torsion bars on the front end.

As for doing the torsion keys and then cranking them to the max, you are really going to be stressing the lower and upper ball joints on the front end and putting them under a lot of stress. Not to mention that you are going to have really bad feeling in the suspension as you are going to have no downward wheel travel. So, any pothole is going to result in a tire leaving the road surface. Not sure about you, but that is bad in my book.

soulatlamour, why do you think you need that much more clearance. The only way that you are going to get that much more clearance is to run a 37"+ tire. To do that, you will definitely need torsion keys, rear coil spacer, and a body lift to fit tires that size (37's will just fit, with some additional work). But, I think you will find that going with 35's and a body lift is going to be your best way to get the additional height and keep things on the cheap. Please keep in mind that I only recommend running 35's if you have the stock 3.73 gears. If you have the stock 3.55 gears, then you are also needing to add in the cost of a gear swap. If you are looking at 37's, then a gear swap is a mandatory thing unless you want to rebuild your tranny here soon. But, that is an additional $2000 for the new gears.

Keep the questions coming. If you want me to explain my point about the ball joints, I will see if I can find the posting I put on another site where I got into the science behind the angle of the ball joints and just what the ball joints can take.

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know Warn makes a hidden winch mount for the first Gen expeditions, it mounts behind the front bumper....pretty slick,
it should hold up to a 10,000lb cap. winch, the pull cable comes through the front of the bumper where you can mount the rollers.
I recommend spending the extra money to do away with the metal pull cable and go with a fiber rope, they are just as strong and when those break the line just goes limp instead of whipping around and injuring someone.

as for your lift stick with the torsion crank, rear spacers and 34-34.50 inch tall tires
ummm 285/70-17???? or 265 if you don't want that wide of a footprint

Last edited:

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^^ dont even worry about the lift, get agressive tires and a winch, what good will a lift do if your stuck? winch it!

babysilk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know I am a bit lit on this post but better late then never. Im running a 2" lift (torsion crank and spacers) and 35's. The truck sits about 4 inched taller(2" from the lift, 2" from the tires). Here are some pictures. There are before and after the 35's in there too.

Attachments

• IMG_0862.jpg
    IMG_0862.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0865.jpg
    IMG_0865.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 309
  • photo (7).jpg
    photo (7).jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_0892.jpg
    IMG_0892.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 812

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if it is 2wd it does not have torsion bars. yes, they made 2wd expd after 99 most of them here in FL are 2wd.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so i might be a little late. as far as the hidden winch mount from warn, I have one. you wont be able to fit a warn 10k winch, but a warn 9.5 will fit. other brands you will be able to fit a 10k, maybe even 12k. anything from warn larger than 9.5 will require a little modification to the upper bumper pad. i hope this helps, if you havent already made your mind up.