New order feature compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking at the pdf above it looks like ford has pulled several features from the expedition even the platinum isn’t spared.
Any idea if MY2023 will be better or worse?
No one outside of Ford knows how MY2023 will be at this time. Once the order guide comes out we should have a better idea and it should be soon since I believe they are opening up the order banks in the next month or two.

As MY2022 went on, more and more required removals were added to the guide so they could push vehicles out the door due to computer chip and other commodity constraints. One can hope that is resolved but I have a feeling it won't be early on IMO.

Last edited:

HtownHog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking at the pdf above it looks like ford has pulled several features from the expedition even the platinum isn’t spared.
Any idea if MY2023 will be better or worse?
The industry as a whole has warned things will get worse before it gets better. Expect late 2023 before they hit the bottom and start seeing relief.

OP
OP
G

gohogs

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, not thrilled about spending so much and having this many options removed. I guess we will wait until the new order sheet comes out and see where we stand.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, not thrilled about spending so much and having this many options removed. I guess we will wait until the new order sheet comes out and see where we stand.
If you'd like the most up to date info on order guides and production scheduling timelines, head over to the Blue Oval forums where they post that stuff. It's also a really good place to learn how the retail order process works if you are curious.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gohogs

Reaction score
My dealer has an expedition coming in soon that has everything I want except the HD tow package. all it list is the tow prep package. what are the differences between the two?

ETA: heaviest trailer I would pull would be a 5,000lb boat trailer. would be at most 10 times putting it in and out of the water for a total trip of length of 1 mile. and once or twice a year 100 miles some years I would use my truck. this trailer does have electric brakes so I would like to add the factory brake controller to be able to dry the brakes off after coming out of the water. I don't need the pro trailer back up assist, I've used it once just to see how it works and never turned it on again.

Last edited:

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My dealer has an expedition coming in soon that has everything I want except the HD tow package. all it list is the tow prep package. what are the differences between the two?

ETA: heaviest trailer I would pull would be a 5,000lb boat trailer. would be at most 10 times putting it in and out of the water for a total trip of length of 1 mile. and once or twice a year 100 miles some years I would use my truck. this trailer does have electric brakes so I would like to add the factory brake controller to be able to dry the brakes off after coming out of the water. I don't need the pro trailer back up assist, I've used it once just to see how it works and never turned it on again.
The HD tow package increases the tow rating of the vehicle from 6,000 lbs to up to 9,300 lbs depending on configuration (see below). The package includes 3.73 rear axle, trailer brake controller, and pro trailer backup assist. In pre-2022 models it also included a HD radiator but that is no longer listed for the 2022s.

All Expeditions include the hitch receiver and 7 pin / 4 pin connector. This is the tow prep package.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220728-163939.png
    Screenshot_20220728-163939.png
    605.8 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
G

gohogs

Reaction score
Thank you AJ82, I think the max comes with the 3.73 axle so would all I be missing is the pro trailer back up? is there an extra transmission cooler on the HD tow? thanks.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you AJ82, I think the max comes with the 3.73 axle so would all I be missing is the pro trailer back up? is there an extra transmission cooler on the HD tow? thanks.
You would also be missing the OEM trailer brake controller. There is a thread on here discussing if that can be added to the 2022 or not. In previous years it could be added as the harness plug was behind the dash. I don't recall if it was found on the 2022 or not. There may also be other changes like the rear springs for HD tow. You'd have to compare the part numbers to see if there are different ones. They may be slightly stiffer. I believe there is also a thread on here talking to that for earlier model years.

I'm not aware of an additional transmission cooler added for HD tow. I will have to defer to others on here for that. I tend to think there isn't because if there was the marketing folks likely would have called it out.

In the end I think it comes down to what you plan to do now and in the future with the vehicle. For me getting the tow package made sense as we plan to upgrade our camper. I'd much rather have more capability than I need than to barely have enough.

OP
OP
G

gohogs

Reaction score
I'll have to check with the brake controller. I understand I would still have the 6,000 lb limit but that's not an issue. still have a 1/2 and 3/4 ton truck for heavy loads. Would just like the ability to pull the boat or small trailers around and only take one vehicle.