New Toy! 1998 Expedition XLT 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a big plus for 98 (5.4) is the last year for alum intake manifold,

check your rear trailing arms for rot

cheers

Jon Hedges

Reaction score
My first Expy was a 1997 XLT 5.4 Prairie Tan just like yours. Selling it with only 150k miles on it was a big mistake.....that I corrected when I bought a 2000 XLT. 350k miles later and it’s still runs great! I’ve replaced the intake manifold & COPs, top/bottom ball joints and all door lock actuators but not much else. Hope your 1st gen blesses you like ours have!

OP
OP
A

AZoutdoorsman

Reaction score
Well I think I found my leak! thankfully not the transmission like I had thought. But it is the transfer case. Looks to me like there is a crack around the drain plug. Any thoughts on how to fix this guys? My first thought was to drain the T-case (again) and JB weld that crack. Think I should do that or just clean it up and throw some RTV on it?

IMG_0023.jpg

OP
OP
A

AZoutdoorsman

Reaction score
Looks like JB Weld for Aluminum! That should work. Ill see if I can find some local this week. And 2 more quarts of Transfer case fluid.

Spaznaut

Reaction score
Think those are just casting and not cracks. More likely theres a washer missing on the plug. If it is a crack make sure to rough up the surface good for adhesion. But if there is a crack right there I'd say it extends to where the plug is (maybe over-tightened) and that will be real hard to repair.

OP
OP
A

AZoutdoorsman

Reaction score
Well time for an update. Couldn't find the Hy-poxy alumbond stuff but I did find a JB weld that said it was for aluminum. Tried it out and it worked out OK. Slowed the leak but it still has a small drip. Might try to re clean it up and add some. We'll see, not sure if I want to buy two more quarts of transfer case fluid. On another note I bought wheels! found them for a good deal on Offer up so I went for it. I redid the hub caps for stock/custom look :peace:. Also started a Gotts mod to get this ole 5.4 some more air!! I cut off the end of the stock housing because it was only 2.5" ID. Epoxied on some 3" the same length as what I cut off (don't judge my epoxy job). And boy am I getting tired of sanding the piece that goes through the fender. Might borrow my buddys belt sander. Ill post some more pics when its all done.

IMG_0034.jpg

61024881157__8AB72615-77C2-4F40-AAFF-6011A9C36D95.JPG

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had those same wheels on my 2000. I had different center caps though. I really like the Ford logos you put on them.

OP
OP
A

AZoutdoorsman

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I found a guy that has some F250 front springs for really cheap out where I live. I've read that these can be used in place of the spacer for a 2.5" lift in the rear. Has anybody done this or have any info on this? I've tried searching but couldn't find anything. Debating on starting a separate thread for this. Let me know your thoughts.