New Tranny Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1000 miles ago, i did my own tranny drain and fill. i also added a remote filter from summit racing (perma cool brand). I drained the torque convertor, drained the pan, dropped the pan, cleaned the gasket, cleaned the magnet, and cleaned the pan....then refilled with Royal Purple Max ATF.

couple of things:
this was the first time (to my knowledge...i bought it with 43K on it) the pan has been dropped. I had a flush job done at the dealer around 75K miles. My magnet was so covered in filings that i thought it was broken. when i went to touch the edges, it was soft and i realized that what i was touching was sludge and iron filings.

everything cleaned up well. the interior of the pan was a very bright and shiney silver and the magnet cleaned up very well too. i ended up putting in 14qts of new ATF. i haven't had a leak yet, and it shifts like butter.

has anyone else done this? did you have good results? how long before you experienced any problems?

thanks-

stang99x

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm interested to know how you drained the torque converter with the tranny on the car

OP
OP
C

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
at the bottom of my T/C there was a rubber plug. when i pulled it off, i could NOT see the T/C drain plug, so my husband turned the crank (with 18mm socket) until i saw the plug at the 6 o'clock position. the drain plug was 10mm (i think, i'll check my paper when i get home) and 6qts drained out. it took about 30 minutes to drain and the scariest part was not having a torque wrench that could fit up in there so i could make sure that i didn't over torque the drain plug. so i just put it i there hand tight and then put a socket on it until 1/4 turn past snug.

i have since experienced a small leak, but it's been 10,000 miles and the leak doesn't register on the dip stick...i've just seen a small pink spot on the garage floor.

stang99x

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds rather labor intensive. Why not just have it flushed again? I regularly do a pan gasket followed by an immediate flush for customers. It works wonders, without having to search for that little drain plug on the TC (that I didn't even know was there)

In the future, to prevent such little drops, put a dab of permatex or gasket maker on the end of the bolt to stop leaks.

OP
OP
C

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do you mean put that stuff on the 20 pan bolts? Because my leak isn't coming from the T/C drain plug. I checked it first and it was dry as a bone.