Newbie here - Looking at an 02 Expedition to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xowner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
HI everyone....

I'd like to hear some opinions here...

first I will mention that I have owned several Explorers over the last 17 years and loved each one.

I have been looking to move up in size to the Expedition and was trying to stay around the 06-08 models. However I have come across a decent buy (condition and price so i think) of an 02 expy with 120k miles. I missed out last month of a highly maintained 06 EB.

The 02 I am buying below book value as the person got it in a full property purchase.... they had to replace fuel pump to get running.

I drove it (after jumping battery) and it ran and seemed ok (max speed 35 mph). So I know a battery is needed and smog may only get done after we do the deal at DMV as I may be the only person getting current plates (or move permit).

I've read over common issues with these triton engines.... the spark plug blowing out. I went down again today to jump and run it again, but we never got it started via my explorer's battery.... tried a few times in 30 minutes.

Next time I will take the 10 amp charger with 50 amp jump and a fully charged power pack with me.

OK, so that's the background.... heres my questions:
what would you look for over in this model?
Eddie Bauer, 4.6L, 4r70w trans, and 3.55 rear axle.

How would you examine for potential spark plug issues?
I do see a flushing T was inserted into a heater hose (above coil/plug on pass side bank closet plug to firewall.

About the battery - any know power issues on these? i.e. drains?
Starters failing needing higher amps?
I noticed the oil filler cap had fallen down into frame (newer one on filler neck) and the oil had been really dark... dont know how long since change and if dirt or dust had gotten into engine (heavy oil?)

I wanted to start it again and make sure of no ticking noise (seems to be precursor for spark plug blowout). Thinking to take my stethoscope and listen above each plug / coil area. Theres no history on the vehicle (maint records).

The first test drive went ok, engine seemed ok running (no miss), since we jumped it then most OBDII test monitors were not ready, no CEL, Trans shifted fine 1-2-3 as speed was keep lower. AC, brakes, alt keep vehicle running, started 2 more times, pulled very slightly to right - tires worn evenly.

Thanks in Advance !

Last edited: