newbie to forum...need some opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeismadness

Reaction score
I have a 97 ford expedition with 150,000 miles it has the 5.4 not sure about the trans or t case. I have a horrible shake from 35-45 mph so i crawled underneath my expy to look around and u joints and my tcase isnt tight against my transmission. Seems like spmeone didnt torque the bolts down when the transmission was replaced (thats just my guess) i was hust wondering if u guys thought the t case would cause the shake...maybe not the t case directly but maybe its causing a u joint to go wobble.? Thanks in advance guys!

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it is "loose" as you describe, the misalignment of all those moving parts could certainly induce the shake. It will eventually get worse and could even be catastrophic. I'd also check the rest of the drive train to be sure things are o.k. after torqueing what you have found loose.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Mike, I want you to get back under the truck and look at the rear driveshaft. If you look a the end attached to the transfer case, do you see 2 U-joints back to back there? If so, replace the driveshaft with the single U-joint style and see of that takes care of your shaking. If it does, then you had a bad centering bearing (located between the 2 U-joints). These are known to fail and it will cause the driveshaft to go out of balance at specific speeds. Unfortunately, replacing only the centering bearing is a royal PITA because no one sells the centering bearing unless you can find a driveline specialty shop. THen you need to ask them if they can get a ****************er 1350 centering bearing.

I have been down this road.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
I replaced the U joint when I did my ball joints... It shook like hell between 70 and 80 kilometers/ hour.. which would be in that 40-49 mph range. It also made a real screechy sound whenever i started it. U joint took care of it.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dam i need to do ujoints and ball joints and rear brakes. damn this is costing a small fortune to keep on the road. o well. its safe and its paid for.