Newer Spark Plug Heavily Corroded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience. I agree that iridium are quite expensive all things considered, however I lucked out and RockAuto had the Champions for like $4-5 per plug. I could not say no to that, lol! (Champion is good quality and it is also the standard plug for all Dodge, from what I've read)

As for longevity, I don't plan on keeping them in there past 80,000 miles or so. But... I do value the peace of mind they offer, plus the fact that they might save me money on coils down the line. Since I have another truck to drive to work every day and the Expedition is my week-ends / days off truck, I expect those plugs to last a very long time for me.

The truck runs very smooth on them, by the way... I definitely saw an improvement over the old (worn out) ones, as could be expected.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should be good to go for a long time.
I have always hated Champion plugs even though they are OEM for Chrysler products. I will say they're the best for lawn mowers though. Everybody out buying these first fire and E3 plugs for lawn mowers are just wasting money. You need nothing but a standard plain old Champion plug.
I might have put champions in a Chrysler or a Jeep with a 4.0 only two or three times in my life because the owner had bought those plugs or wanted Champions put back in. I would always opt for another plug if I had the choice but that was a few years back.
When the Ford 3 valve problem first showed up Champion was the best plug to install when you took out the factory ones because it was the only one piece plug design. Now that Motorcraft has gone to a one-piece design I would go with those on a 3 valve.
It's funny how certain people will have one experience with a product and then bash them for the next 20 to 30 years. I see a lot of people on a couple of different forums that don't like Autolite plugs. I have never had a problem with an Autolite plug ever. They were always my second plug for a GM cars. AC Delco first and then Autolite if they weren't available.
4 Fords my first choice would be Motorcraft what's second being autolite.
However, today, there is not that much difference in Brands. It's mostly about the plug composition as in standard top, Platinum, iridium.
I will caution you about Pine plugs online through Amazon or Ebay and maybe even RockAuto. Inspect the plugs very carefully because there have been several posts with pictorial evidence to show counterfeit plugs. I believe the counterfeits were with NGK but I might have seen something about Motorcraft also.
They had contacted NGK and gotten the numbers off the plug and not the standard part number. They were confirmed by the company to not have been made by NGK.
That gets pretty scary. I have no problem buying lower-quality no name or off-brand Chinese replicated, copied parts for a low price but I do not like the idea of counterfeit goods for car parts.
If I want a cheap ass junkie plug I'll buy a Torch . That's what comes in all the Loncin and Chinese snow blowers and mower engines now.

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Ordered (8) Motorcraft DG511 ignition coils to replace the aftermarket ones installed a few months ago. Will take the vehicle to the shop once those deliver and swap them out along with replacing the bad head gasket.