No Crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joel Epperson

Reaction score
My 2010 Expedition XLT 4X4 is really throwing me for a loop. When I turn the key, I hear the metal clank of the starter plunging, but no cranking in the engine. I've replaced the starter, the battery harness (my starter wire was split in two) and the transmission interlock (it just happened to be broke) with no results. Someone told me to check the fly wheel, or maybe "shim the starter"?? Anyways, I am at a loss and need to get my truck running while I'm off work. Any advice will help!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds stupid, but have you tried shaking the key in the ignition cylinder as you try to turn it over? It may be clicking the relay on and not engaging the starter afterward. Ignition cylinders can wear out and cause this and often shaking the key will get it to fire up. Any PATS light on the dash?

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2010 Expedition XLT 4X4 is really throwing me for a loop. When I turn the key, I hear the metal clank of the starter plunging, but no cranking in the engine. I've replaced the starter, the battery harness (my starter wire was split in two) and the transmission interlock (it just happened to be broke) with no results. Someone told me to check the fly wheel, or maybe "shim the starter"?? Anyways, I am at a loss and need to get my truck running while I'm off work. Any advice will help!

Is the starter actually turning or you just hear it hit the flywheel?

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honocor

Reaction score
This may sound silly but check ALL the fuses. I had a simmilar issue with a 03 Mountaineer. Changed the starter and messed with ignition and everything. As a last resort I started pulling fuses one by one and finally found one that didn't seem like it had anything to do with starting the vehicle based on the manual. It was the 41st fuse I checked. Worth a try.