No Key Detected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goldmember

Reaction score
I have the same issue on a 2017 Platinum Max. A battery change usually fixes it for a few months. I’ve also noticed that the remote car start button sticks sometimes. When I remote car start sometimes it shuts off right away. Taking apart the fob and reassembling will fix this issue. Maybe it’s also draining the battery. The fob is very sensitive so maybe buttons are being pushed in my pocket and draining the battery. Either way, this issue is unique to my Expedition and haven’t see it in other cars.

OP
OP
C

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, it appears to be a fairly common problem. But has no official fix. I'll stop worrying about it and just keep fresh batteries and wear the fob like a dog tag....

Lee Winter

Reaction score
Mine displayed the warning intermittently over several months, but always started on a second attempt. Now it won’t start at all. FYI, if it totally fails, and a new battery won’t help, there is a slot inside the center console to place your fob. The vehicle starts with the push button. I’m doing this while I try to locate the module that controls this. Anyone know?

Reaction score
Mine displayed the warning intermittently over several months, but always started on a second attempt. Now it won’t start at all. FYI, if it totally fails, and a new battery won’t help, there is a slot inside the center console to place your fob. The vehicle starts with the push button. I’m doing this while I try to locate the module that controls this. Anyone know?
Lee, did you have any luck finding the control module?

I have a 2016 Expedition EL Limited that is having essentially the same issue. The keys work intermittently to lock/unlock the vehicle. We have to move closer or to a different angle for the lock/unlock to work. Sometimes having to get almost right next to the vehicle. We also intermittantly get the "No Key Detected" message. It appears our issues are progressively getting worse.

We have replaced the batteries in the key fobs and have even purchased and programmed a new key fob. All key fobs, old and new, are having the same issues. Therefore, one would assume that the problem is in the vehicle. From the best I can determine, there is an external remote receiver module (I doubt this is the official name) that receives the signal from the key fob. I'm hoping that I can find and replace the module. My thought is that the connection between the antenna and the module or the connection between the module and the "computer" is corroded or possibly the module is starting to fail.

The problem is that I have searched the internet, forums, youtube, etc. high and low and I can not find the location of the (key fob) external receiver module for the 2016 Expeditions (and/or the Gen3s). I have found some mention that the TPMS "may" be used to receive the signal from the key fobs. But I have not been able to confirm. I have also seen that some F Series trucks, in the same age range, have a separate module. One thought I had was that because the backup key slot is in the center console, maybe the module is located under the center console. But I haven't gotten anywhere with that either.

Therefore, I am hoping that someone knows the location of the external receiver module for the 2016 Expeditions or any Gen3 Expedition. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

rlhaberm

Reaction score
I’ve read through this string twice and still don’t see where the receiver is located. Have also searched the internet (Google, Bing, etc) and can’t find. Does ANYONE know where to find it? Mine is a 2017 Platinum. So far the best answer seems to be a failing main battery…guess it’s time to try a replacement. I still would like to know where the receiver is in case that doesn’t work.

Update- Still don’t know know where the receiver is located, but a new AGM battery seems to have fixed the problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’ve read through this string twice and still don’t see where the receiver is located. Have also searched the internet (Google, Bing, etc) and can’t find. Does ANYONE know where to find it? Mine is a 2017 Platinum. So far the best answer seems to be a failing main battery…guess it’s time to try a replacement. I still would like to know where the receiver is in case that doesn’t work.
Unfortunately, I was not successful in finding the location of receiver, either. I had narrowed it down to the center console or above the headliner.

That all being said, I was able to eliminate my key fob issues. It ended up being RF interference from replacement interior LED bulbs and the Apple AirTag I had on the key ring. I replaced the no name/Amazon LED bulbs with name brand bulbs and I removed the AirTag. Since then, I have had virtually no issues. I know everyone’s situation is different. But hopefully this helps.