No Limited Slip Differential : What's the impact on Towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wannabeMtb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ordered a 2022 expedition and forgot to add the Limited Slip Differential option. What is the impact on towing? I mean will that mean that I can't tow in sandy/muddy roads or something like that ?

Last edited:

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I expect you would see the true impact when moving from standstill, towing on slippery surface, like one side in sand/snow or perhaps a boat ramp with one side having less traction. Brake based limited slip can only send up to 50% of the power to one side, while it brakes the opposite end to create equal force between the low traction and high traction side.

Highway, or conditions with equal traction left/right, you shouldn't see a difference.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're towing on improved roads, there will be no impact. I haven't towed in heavy snow, sand, etc, but it's never been an issue for me.

OP
OP
W

wannabeMtb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're towing on improved roads, there will be no impact. I haven't towed in heavy snow, sand, etc, but it's never been an issue for me.
Thank you.
I assume you meant that you don't have Limited Slip Differential ; and yet had no problem with towing. Correct ?

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't looked into the 2022's but on the previous years the LSD was standard when you ordered the HD tow. HD Tow added the LSD and full rear selectable locker. Is that no longer the case?

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know that with the '21 models, elsd was removed from the HD tow pkg., and only available as a package option (with controltrack) for more $$

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you.
I assume you meant that you don't have Limited Slip Differential ; and yet had no problem with towing. Correct ?
Yes, that is correct. I have a 4x2 with 3.31 and no LSD. It's never been an issue, even on gravel or grass. I have gotten stuck in deep mud twice, but wasn't towing. The closest I ever came to wanted it on an incline with wet grass, and even then it was non-issue. There was some minor slippage, but I was still able to maneuver the trailer into its parking spot.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Watch this video for Ford’s marketing input.

Ford Elsd

In order to test the effectiveness, somebody would need to pull the fuse for the eLSD, then find an unstable condition. After finding the unstable condition, they would need to plug the fuse back in and retest.

I think it depends more on the situations that you think you will use the expedition. If you think you will encounter situations where a front and back tire will have reduced traction at the same time, then the eLSD may be desired.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better—tires make more difference than lsd vs open diff. My Expedition with no Lsd walks right up the steep icey incline side entrance to one of my properties in 4-low. My dads F-250 cannot make it in 4-low WITH the factory locker engaged. The Michelins beat out BFG hard there. Both sets about a year old. I’m sure good tires with the locker are even better—but point is with good rubber you’ll be set up better than a factory lsd setup.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01