No start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Matthew82

Reaction score
Yes, that's the main chasis ground cable. It should be connected directly to the negative terminal of the truck's battery. Was the Expy stolen or something? Who hacked everything up ? But if you don't have the chasis ground connected you will get all kinds of computer errors.

-Mike

More pics of that area....
Expy%20Underhood%2001_zpsf4vfkoqz.jpg

Here you can see that grounding cable connects to the negative terminal of the battery....
Expy%20Ground%20Cable%2003_zpsvlkirnar.jpg

Vacuum supply line pic .... make sure you have those two check valves in the line ....
Expy%20Dash%20Vacuum%20Supply%20Line_zps5at78xzk.jpg

Thanks a lot for the pics and info. Haven't had much time to work on it last few days. Will hopefully have some time this week/weekend. Will update as I go.

just to shed a little humor here -- your thread "no start" should have been called "i hope this vehicle was a free gift because holy *&%! it's going to cause me to go broke and lose everything trying to fix it"

jk -- good luck buddy.

I heard there's still a ton of brand new 0 mile SAAB's sunken somewhere off the coast of newfoundland if you wanna jaque costeu with me.

Didn't give much of anything for it. It was damn near free

OP
OP
M

Matthew82

Reaction score
Got some time to work on it before the storms rolled in today. Starts on starting fluid. Fuel delivery problem. When you turn ignition to run (without trying to start it) there is a loud clicking coming from fuse panel (assuming the fuel pump relay). Can't tell if the fuel pump is coming on or not with the switch. Will try more testing when storms are over.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you take the fusebox cover off and turn the key and maybe feel with your fingers where the "clicking" is coming from? The fuel pump micro relay is right in the middle of the fusebox but you can't do anything with it. You should be able to put your finger on it though. It's soldered to the fusebox circuit board and not user serviceable. You might also find the PCM relay melted. That's the rectangular shaped relay in the top right corner. Those three along the top are interchangeable, so you can swap in one of the other just to see if it'll change anything as far as starting. But in the end you're gonna end up replacing the fusebox all together. It's about $300 from Tasca Parts. The fried fuelpump micro relay is a known problem on the early second Gen Expy.

-Mike

Burned up fuelpump relay.....
FordExpeditionFuseBoxCBPanelBurned_zpsaa437c41.jpg

Fusebox.... rectangular relay at top right is the PCM relay...
FordExpF150NavFuseBox20032004_zps3b959d9c.jpg

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford did a lot of stupid things. This is one, removing the provision for cabin air filter is another (need to replace my evaporator which is full of crap because they saved 15 bucks on a filter....), plastic gear on the adjustable pedals, the list goes on.. Still, weirdly enough, I love the truck.. lol

OP
OP
M

Matthew82

Reaction score
Finally got some time to work on the Expy. Fixed all grounds that (I can find) that are bad (broken. There were several of them). I also tested voltage to inertia switch (12v for second or 2 then drops to 6v, which I believe is normal. Correct me if I'm wrong). Anyone know what color the hot wire to the fuel pump is? I had assumed it is the same as the inertia switch but I can't seem to find that wire leading to fuel pump. Any more ideas or help troubleshooting would be appreciated. Oh it still doesn't start. If I'm correct (correct me if I'm wrong please) but if it's getting voltage to inertia switch then dropping with key on then relay is working correct?....thanks again guys for all the help so far.

Last edited: